Ch 4. Party Headaches

[ELI]

I paced around the foyer, waiting for Nara. When I looked up, I saw Mee at the top of the stairs with a disappointed look. I hurried to meet her as she slowly descended the steps. I could tell something was wrong.

"How did everything go? You don't look too happy."

Mee sighed and looked down at her hands, "She was straightforward about where our relationship stands." She said as she proceeded to tell me about their conversation.

I sighed and hugged her.

"Don't worry, just give her some time. She will come around."

I could tell my words didn't comfort her. Nara's pain wasn't something she understood, and it worried her. "I will give her time, but I'm not sure it would be enough for her."

I held her hand tightly. I felt guilty for how she felt, but I felt even more guilty for Nara. If only I had fought to stay.

"Don't worry, we'll figure this out."

"Mom, Mom, when is she coming down?" Jae interrupted. He was busy watching the chef prepare food and missed Nara's arrival. Although his mother never talked to Nara, Mrs. Rose ensured that Nara and Jae could have a relationship without our involvement.

"Well, someone's impatient."

Our eyes looked up as Nara walked down the steps. The foyer fell silent. Jae's face lit up, and he ran up the stairs to embrace her.

"Nana!"

"Hi, buddy." She squeezed him tightly.

"I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you more."

She kissed him on his head and took his hand. When they reached the bottom step, I took her free hand and guided her to the front of the guest. She looked like a younger version of her mother. Beautiful and elegant.

"You look gorgeous," I whispered.

I was pleased with my dress choice. I knew this was something her mother would have worn. She gave me a gentle smile and then quickly looked away.

"Yes, you look stunning," Mee added.

"Thanks. It doesn't fit too bad."

I stared at her for a moment. She tried to keep a straight face, but I could see the pain hiding behind her mask. The guilt I felt weighed me down even more.

I turned to address the guest with a heavy heart. "Please, everyone gather around. I want to introduce you to our guest of honor."

All the curious faces moved closer together.

"This is my firstborn and only daughter, Nara Maverick. She just moved here from New York City." I turned to look at her. "I couldn't be happier to have her here with me again. I hope you all can show her the love and respect you have shown me over the years. Let's give her a warm welcome."

Everyone started to clap. Some people gasped in excitement, and others were shocked. Not many people knew about Nara, not because I didn't want to tell them but because the pain I felt when I mentioned her was too much to bear. Things didn't end well with her mother and me, and because of that, our relationship fell apart. In her mind, she believes I abandoned them.

    That couldn't be further from the truth.

Now that she finally agreed to move with us, I hoped to repair what was once broken. But the damage seems far too severe.