Ch.3 Who is she?

[Minji]

    I followed Mee into the garden area. It was decorated with pink and white roses. There were small tables spread out around the pool and garden. Jazz music played softly in the background.

          "It's stunning out here. Is there a special occasion?" I asked curiously.

          "Yes, we have a special guest arriving any moment. I hope you all will stay to join us for this special moment."

          "We may have to. I wouldn't want to miss such an event."

           The truth is I didn't want to stay.

           We came to a small bench and sat down. Mee stopped a waiter passing by with a tray of champagne and offered me a glass. I accepted, and we both toasted to each other.

         "I can't believe it's been nearly 12 years," Mee said.

         "It feels like a lifetime. I thought we would never speak again."

         "Well, here we are," Mee said sarcastically.

          There was an awkward silence between us. The entire time, Mee tried to keep her composure. The truth is she wasn't very fond of me. This was due to the previous relationship Eli and I had. It surprised me when I found out she knew. Although she never said anything, I could tell she didn't like me. It makes me wonder if he told her what I did.

       "Your son has grown up so much, and he's quite handsome," Mee said, breaking the silence. 

       I suspect Mee's kindness is just an act. She must know.

      "Thank you, he means the world to me. And your Jae is charming. How old is he?"

      "He's nine now. They grow up so fast." She said dryly.

       We both took a sip of our champagne. By the way she tapped her finger on the glass, I could tell she seemed eager for the men to finish their conversation.

I was eager as well.

       Liz suddenly appeared, and we both sighed in relief. We only sat briefly, but the air seemed toxic between us.

      "Madam, she has arrived."

       Mee stood up quickly, and her mood suddenly brightened up.

       "Finally! Let's meet our guest.

********************************************
[Nara]

       The flight to Seoul was long, and I couldn't wait to stretch my legs. I liked being in first class; however, I still felt it was too crowded. Due to the presence of strangers, I barely slept during the flight, so I was exhausted. Once I exited the plane, I made my way to baggage claim. I found my luggage and made my way to pick it up. As I walked towards the door, I noticed a man holding a sign that said "Nara Maverick," and I paused.

      "He's a joke," I said, shaking my head. Then I approached him.

      "Hey, I'm Nara, and you are?"

      "I'm your driver this evening, madam. My name is Hyeon Lo. May I take your bags?"

      I gave him a side-eye. This was too much.

   "If you insist, knock yourself out."

      Hyeon happily took my bags and led me to the car. He opened the door for me, and I slid inside. I thought I would feel homesick, but I didn't. Being in a foreign country allowed me to escape my memories. As much as I wanted to be home, I knew it wouldn't help. After all these years, the place I never wanted to go to was the only place I could escape to. I put my hood over my head and closed my eyes. I want to forget. But how could I forget that face, that smile, that laugh? That type of love is rare, and I could never get it back. The emptiness that followed those thoughts pushed me deeper into darkness. As I drifted further behind the blackness, I fell asleep.