17 | Liar

It was nearly midnight when Serephina entered the bedroom filled with the sleeping children.

Mama had forbade her from sleeping in the bedroom because of her injury, the main reason why she wasn't in her proper bed as of the moment.

She quietly limped her way through the kids, her crutches making quiet taps along the way.

"Ray." She called the boy who was sleeping peacefully. And after her small whisper, he immediately woke up. He wasn't much of a deep sleeper after all.

"What—?" Ray rubbed his head. "Why are you still awake? It's late already. You're suppose to be tucked in."

"I know that." Serephina pouted. "I even have my pajamas on already..." She looked down at her white pajamas.

"Yeah, I can tell." Ray sighed before making space for the girl to sit on. "Anyway, you wouldn't come here for that only, would you?"

"Yeah." Serephina smiled before placing her crutches aside and sitting on the boy's bed, making sure her leg wouldn't be in any sort of pain.

Once she was comfortable, Ray placed a blanket over her, trying to make sure she stayed warm.

"Anyway, why did you come here?" Ray then asked, staring blankly at the wall across him.

Serephina chuckled.

"Well, I was just thinking. What if we all managed to escape this place." She looked at him. "What would be the first thing you'd do?"

"You've asked that before." Ray crossed his arms before snapping his fingers together. "Survive."

"Of course." Serephina closed her eyes and sighed. "That's common sense. But if you're given a world without demons or farms. What would be the first thing you'd do?"

"If it's like that, then..."

"The clouds looks nice once again."

"Serephina!" Emma rushed towards the girl, helping her sit down on the grass, right below the tree in the middle of the field. "Not early anymore, huh?"

"I was tired last night." Serephina smiled as she placed her crutches beside her. "Anyways, where's Ray and Norman? Well, I can tell that Norman must be with the kids, but where's Ray—?"

"Here." Serephina looked at the boy, who was walking towards them with another book in hand. "The kids are having fun today, along with Norman of course."

"Well, today is the day after all." Serephina's smile faltered. "And I'm really nervous, and scared— and nervous..."

"You said it twice, Serephina..." Emma stated as she leaned back on the tree, looking up blankly. "But yeah, same here..."

"Don't worry." Ray patted the brunette's head as he sat beside her. "Everything will go as planned," he said.

Everything will go as planned...

"I hope so..."

It was right for Serephina and Emma to be nervous. That afternoon, as Mama called everyone back into the house, Norman came back with a tired look on his face.

"... Why?!" Emma looked at the albino, shocked. She didn't know how to react. Norman didn't escape. And now, he's going to be adopted— shipped out.

"He really came back..." Serephina fiddled with her fingers as she looked at Ray, who had his hand covering his face. But Serephina was sure, he must be really frustrated at this point.