05 | Breakdown.

"You're always reading those books, Ray." Serephina glanced at the book on Ray's hand. The raven head gave her a nod as he showed her the cover of the book.

"His books are always interesting. There's a feeling that there's something hidden..." Ray mumbled as his eyes traced the word, as if he was trying to decode a code encrypted into the page. Maybe there was another meaning. "But other than that, his books are amazing."

Serephina smiled. "Well, at least head out to the field sometimes. I'm starting to get lonely without the three of you.."

The two of them were inside the library. They both sat on Ray's favorite spot. The fence, which avoided them from falling, would block the lights, making the area dim. But still, Ray had no problems with reading books in the dark.

"What do you mean? Emma and Norman aren't talking to you?" He asked, closing his book shut as he looked over at the brunette, who still had a small smile plastered on her face. Though Ray could tell it wasn't just a smile. It was a bitter one.

"That's right." Serephina nodded. "Those two have been wandering off since they went to the gates the night of Conny's adoption. Me and Anna think it's starting to get weird. Even Mama has been looking at them. Not in worry, but..." The girl looked at Ray, like she was trying to say something but couldn't. "I don't know. Mama is also acting weird."

Phi isn't dumb. She can catch up easily, and that's what's scary. Even after a day of observing someone, she can quickly catch up to what's happening... Ray thought as he looked at the book in his hands. The boy was trying to avoid eye contact. At this point, he had no idea what to do. In fact, he didn't even think she'd notice how Mama would act.

Drowned in his thoughts, Ray didn't notice the pair of blue eyes looking at him intensely.

"You're also up to something..." Ray's lips parted as he looked at Serephina with his eyes wide. "Aren't you?"

"I-" No, it wasn't supposed to be like this. She shouldn't be aware of what was going on now. If Mama finds out, then she'll no doubt do something. "It's nothing."

Suddenly, Ray felt his heart ache. Was it because Serephina suspected him, or the fact that there were tears brimming at the corner of her eyes.

"Liar," she spat, covering her face with her hands as she let the tears flow freely. "You guys are all liars! I'm fine with you not telling me what's going on, but if it comes down to Emma and Norman looking so horrified everyday.. then I'm going to have to be nosy for once!"

Ray's breath hitched. His hands holding her shoulders. "Calm.." he inhaled. "Calm down, Phi.. there's nothing wrong. Maybe they just told each other scary-"

"That's what they also told me!" The brunette cried. "Scary stories?! Unbelievable!"

She looked at Ray with an expression he had never seen her use on him. Anger? Rage? It was like a mix. This was Serephina's breaking point, and he knew it.

"You know how I felt when I saw Emma crying that night?" She wiped her tears away. "I felt scared! But guess what? When they explained that it was just because of scary stories, it turned into anger! But deep down, I knew Emma wouldn't cry because of those kinds of stories. I knew she wouldn't!"

"Calm down, Phi.. maybe-"

"No! You guys are hiding something! And I'm afraid that soon, you guys might-!"

Serephina was cut off with a pair of arms pulling her. She felt warmth surrounding her as the arms wrapped around her waist tightened it's hold.

"I'm not letting you go till you calm down, Phi." Serephina tried to push the boy away, but of course, it was no use. His grip just tightened even more. Despite her having an advantage in physical abilities, when it came to strength, Ray was superior.

"Let me go, you cyclops!" she yelled. "I wanna get out!"

"Nope, not happening unless you calm down." Ray leaned his head against the back of her neck. "Just calm down, or you're really gonna get us in trouble... Okay?" the boy asked in a soft voice.

"I-" Serephina sniffed. "Why? Why did you tell them to take Little Bunny to the gates? I know you, Ray. You're the type to always follow the rules despite always complaining and proving them wrong. But that night, when you told me that they were going to the gates, you looked like you were planning something. And when I said I would go, you suddenly looked scared."

"You pick up on things fast."

"I'm not asking you to compliment me, Ray."

She heard him sigh.

"Fine, I'll tell you."

"But.. keep it a secret."

Fact Five
Serephina doesn't like observing, but when she thinks something is wrong, she'll try to analyze the situation as quick as possible.

Fact FiveSerephina doesn't like observing, but when she thinks something is wrong, she'll try to analyze the situation as quick as possible