16 | To Live

"Have you talked with Ray yet?"

Norman asked with a smile on his face. Serephina frowned as she crossed her arms. "Nope, that jerk didn't even bother coming to visit this place. It's sickening, you know." Serephina glanced at Norman. "You used to get sick tons of times. You were so weak and frail.. I wonder how you endured the loneliness..."

Norman chuckled, holding the girl's hand in comfort. "You guys used to cheer me up a lot. It's still a mystery how Emma always managed to pass Mama and enter."

"That's right!" Serephina snickered as she recalled those snowy days when Norman would stay inside the infirmary. "She always managed to do that! And that one time when Emma thought you were dying and literally went out of her way to find that one plant!"

"You were in it too!"

"I don't recall..."

The two looked at each other before bursting in a fit of laughter.

The mood wasn't so heavy. Norman thought it was a good thing.

Serephina never brought the topic of how he was going to be shipped out the next day, nor did she talk about their failed investigation or anything about Mama's plans.

"You were always so happy." Norman crossed his arms. "You and Emma were like, a duo of chaos. And you both still are."

Serephina sighed as she looked down. "Those were the days." She then gave Norman an annoyed expression. "If only I didn't injure this leg over here, I would be cooking treats and desserts for you before you leave."

"Don't feel guilty. Mama was the one who did that injury."

"Anyways, I'm happy with it. I'm not planning on rewinding time." Serephina played with the edges of her sleeves as she looked at Norman. "If I hadn't gotten this injury, then Emma would have." She forced out a smile. "She'd be pretty down if that happened, so I'm also thankful that it happened to me..."

Norman sighed as he gave the girl a pat on the head. "Selfless as always, Serephina.."

"I can also be selfish..."

"When?"

"I was planning to keep this a secret forever but.." she gave Norman a sharp look. "Maybe I can tell you. After all, we're siblings with the same eye color!"

Norman leaned closer to Serephina as the girl gave him a smile. "That one time Mama baked strawberry cakes and someone mysteriously ate most of it? I did that.." a pause. ".. and that one time someone received chocolates from getting the high scores on the test? I took it..."

"That someone was me," Norman deadpanned, looking at the girl like how someone would look at a person who steals chocolates.

"Oh." Serephina blinked. "I didn't expect that..."

"I thought you knew?"

"I forgot..."

The two stayed silent, like they were both just reminiscing the days back then. The days before they discovered the truth of Gracefield. The days before they discovered the demons.

But reality is cruel. Like it or not, those days were meant to come to an end.

"Have you talked with Emma?"

"Of course." Norman sighed as he looked to the side. "She wasn't so happy.. and, to be honest..." He paused, as if he was trying to hold it all back. "I really, really.. want to continue living."