My Rooster

It was a Sunday afternoon in the school of Hogwarts. Most of the students were either sleeping or spending their weekends entertaining themselves with games of chess or by running around the school, finding trouble.

But it was a little different in the case of Tom riddle. His jaw was clenched in anger and his fists were swinging by his side while he walked across different hallways. He was in search of a particular person that was supposed to meet him almost two hours ago.

His hands almost itched to grab his wand and blast some random people with some hexes. But he had to refrain from doing so just for the sake of his reputation. He was so lost in his murderous thoughts that he forgot where he was heading to.

Suddenly a figure collided with his making him land on the hard marble floor with a loud thump. A painful grunt escaped his lips due to the impact. He could almost feel the bruises forming on his back.

A small squeal reached his ears which made him doubt that he collided with some kind of a giant rat. But when he finally got over the pain and opened his eyes, he only saw the Ravenclaw emblem shining on their robe.

The figure on top of him also lifted their head and stared at him with wide eyes. The only emotion that he could recognise was panic. He was almost disappointed when he saw no trace of fear in those brown orbs.

Her hair was all over the place, almost like a black cloud ready to shower a storm. Her cheeks were flushed to the extent that they almost were as red as rose petals. Tom guessed that it was due to running, which she often did. Her pink lips were chapped and were slightly parted as she took a breath in small gasps. The hot air from her mouth fanned across his own pale face.

They were simply lying on the ground analysing each other for a few agonising minutes. Tom could see his own surprised expression in her warm brown eyes. He was lost. He didn't know what was happening. He tried so hard to make some sarcastic comment on her but nothing came out of his mouth. He merely parted his lips and closed it again.

He saw Maybelle's eyes grow bigger and bigger. Their staring contest was suddenly broken when she shouted out the most absurd thing he ever heard in his entire life.

"MY ROOSTER!"

Tom flinched at her loud tone and looked around to see if anyone was staring at them. Luckily, there was absolutely no one around. It was kind of odd how he always found the girl in empty hallways.

Maybelle quickly sat up, but still stayed on top of him. It was as if she forgot that he was even there. She started removing the folds of her robes, a frown was evident on her face. It was at that moment that he realised that she was cradling something in her arms. He propped himself on his elbows to get a better look but regretted it immediately.

But the outcome was something that forced him to stay completely still in order to avoid any embarrassment. Tom chanted all the different curses he knew inside his head and waited for the girl to acknowledge the situation that they were in.

His eyes squinted when a head suddenly popped into his sight of vision. There was a huge, black rooster staring at him with its beady eyes. A sigh of relief escaped Maybelle's lips, "Oh thank Merlin! You are alright, Jet. I thought I killed you."

She hugged the rooster, whose name, Tom guessed, was Jet. She nuzzled her face into its soft black feathers and whispered words of comfort to it. Her tensed body relaxed and she put her full weight on the soft ground she was sitting on.

A soft groan escaped from Tom's throat which finally caught the attention of the girl. He bit the inside of his cheeks from making any further sounds to worsen the situation. His angry eyes met Maybelle's confused ones.