Friends and Families

En başından başla

"Maybelle, dear, let's sit for our lunch. We have lots to discuss," Helena exclaimed. Maybelle didn't understand why everyone around her was so excited. She followed Helena towards the dining area where loads of amazing food were already assembled. Andrew was waiting patiently on a chair.

Helena helped Maybelle sit on a chair that was right beside Andrew. She was quite embarrassed at first because of her height. She still remembered being tall in her previous reality.

When everyone was settled, Helena and Andrew joined their hand to start a prayer. Maybelle followed the suit and closed her eyes. A certain raven-haired boy invaded her vision making her pout ever so slightly.

Get it together, Leo. He's not worth it.

"Okay, let us eat. Don't be shy Maybelle, dear. I know the orphanage has not been kind to you. So, eat as much as you can," Andrew smiled at her and gave her shoulder a light pat. For the very first time, Maybelle gave them a toothy grin and dug in the food.

"So, do you like your room?" Helena asked with a polite smile and Maybelle nodded as her mouth was full of food. She swallowed with a lot of afford and cleared her throat. She had a few questions which needed to be answered before anything else.

"Why did you choose me out of all the children from the orphanage?"

Andrew and Helena became quiet all of a sudden. They put their spoons down almost simultaneously which creeped her out to some extent. Helena cleared her throat and met her eyes for a second and then again looked away quickly.

"Let's just say that it was a promise we made," she answered in a soft voice. Her eyes welled up with years and Andrew put a hand on hers to comfort her.

Maybelle frowned ever so slightly, "A promise to whom?"

"Your father," Andrew answered as Helena burst into tears. If Maybelle had any food inside her mouth she would've choked on it by then.

"But I am not even from....." She trailed off before she sputtered out any more information she was not supposed to say. She glanced at Andrew hearing him sigh loudly.

"You are not supposed to be here, Maybelle. Whoever sent you over here did a very dangerous gamble with the strings of fate."

What have you done Voldy?

"I don't understand. If you could just elabo-"

"No, the less you know, the better," Helena interrupted, "We have to keep you safe!"

Maybelle flinched at her tone. She was beyond confused. She didn't know what kind of mess she just got tangled in.

The less I know, huh? That's what every grandfather said to a male magical protagonist before throwing them into a world of unknown only to make them realise how much crucial information they actually needed to know.

But Maybelle didn't voice her opinion. She literally begged all her life to get an adventure like this. Now, it was being handed over to her. How could she just ignore it?

"Do you happen to know about the chest pain I usually have?"

Helena gasped dramatically making her raise a questioning eyebrow.

"Oh dear, Andrew! It has already started!"

What has started?

"Finish your food first. Then we will do something about it."

Oh, how bad she wanted to ask about what was going on. But she knew better. She saw enough movies to know that she won't get a straight answer.

As the family finished eating, Maybelle was pulled into Helena's embrace. She just stood there with a very stiff posture, not liking the sudden physical contact.