Promise

Leo grumbled under her breath while shoving the last spoon full of cold porridge in her mouth. She lost interest in stealing from the kitchen as she didn't have anyone to share it with, anymore.

She glared daggers at the boy sitting next to her who was looking outside of the window. He was not even the least affected due to the silent treatment they were giving each other. Even Martha had been worried for the first few days but soon became used to it.

Leo, however, felt very depressed about the situation. The very first reason was that Tom was isolating himself. He was going back to his path, seeking every chance of terrorising the children at the orphanage. She was the one who had to keep an eye on his every move all the time.

Secondly, Leo found it very difficult to keep an eye on him without talking to him and managing to not look suspicious at the same time. She was just a student in her previous reality, not a detective!

The third and the most important thing was, she was being ignored by a 10-year-old boy. Her huge ego was injured. And she wanted revenge.

"Leo," Martha placed a hand on her shoulders, bringing her back from her thoughts. She finally stopped glaring at Tom and laid her gaze at Martha who was giving her the brightest smile ever. Leo frowned at the lady and raised a questioning eyebrow at her.

"I have great news for you, my child!"

"What news?" Leo felt an uncomfortable feeling bubbling in her stomach. Whatever news she was going to hear, she knew that she won't like it.

"A wonderful couple has come to give you your new home!"

Leo could almost hear her jaw clattering on the floor. Her heart gave a painful tug and her eyes began to sting for some unknown reason.

"What?" She croaked out but Martha was busy pulling her hand towards who knows where. When they were almost out of the dining hall, Leo's head turned back against her will. Her eyes met Tom's cold ones in a powerful clash. But at that very moment, Tom didn't look like the strange boy with a hard look in his eyes. He looked almost sad, scared even for some reason she didn't understand. Leo forced herself to break the eye contact and followed Martha towards the waiting room.

The two couples sat on the worn-out sofa waiting for the girl to show up. The woman, who was not more than 30 years old sat beside her husband with her arms around his strong ones.

"I hope she will like us," she stated quietly while tugging a stray copper hair behind her ears.

"Of course, she will, Lena. We will do our best," her husband, Andrew, smiled at her and gave her hand a light squeeze. Their attentions were snapped towards the wooden door which opened to reveal the lady who welcomed them before. But their eyes fell on the little girl that was holding her hands.

Leo stared at the duo who were grinning from ear to ear. Martha gave her a light push and left her alone in the waiting room. She couldn't think straight at that very moment. Everything was happening too fast. The only thought in her mind was that she could not leave Tom alone. Who knows what he'd do?

"Hello, dear." The lady spoke up. Leo gave her a blank look. She could see that she was very nervous.

"Hello," she replied softly.

Were they just muggles? Even if they were, would they allow me to attend Hogwarts?

"My name is Helena Wright. Nice to meet you," she introduced herself and gave Leo the best smile she could manage.

"My name is Leona Hart."

"Such a beautiful name, Leona. This is my husband, Andrew Wright," she gestured towards the man who was still sitting. He was quite a tall fellow. With his blonde hair and a huge smile, he could be considered a good looking man. Leo acknowledged him with a slight nod and returned her gaze at Helena.