Bending Realities!

Leo knew she was in hell. She was never the virtuous one. She committed countless sins throughout her life. Maybe not as serious as murder but, she vaguely remembered stealing from her school canteen quite a lot of times.

The cold breeze swept past her making her hair fall on her face. She always imagined hell to be scorching hot but it was quite welcoming. As her senses returned she finally could register her surroundings.

Her face was pressed against the cold cement of some sort. She could hear heavy, quick footsteps all around her. Her body felt very stiff and numb. Her ears were buzzing as if she was living inside a beehive.

Suddenly a cold hand pressed against her neck. She could hear someone speak but couldn't make any sense of the sounds. Her body was gently lifted off the ground in someone's arms.

Leo wanted to see what was going on. Who would want to carry her if she was in hell?

Oh maybe, they are just about to toss me into some large frying machine.

Leo willed herself to open her eyes as soon as the thought of being fried crossed her mind. At first, the surrounding was too bright for her. She had to immediately close her eyes once again.

Her body was laid down on something softer than the ground but not soft enough to be comfortable. She tried to open her eyes once again, this time slowly and successfully. She lifted her small hand to rub her eyes in order to focus her vision.

Wait, small hands? Why do I have small hands?

She looked at her own hands only to realise that they were indeed the hands of a small child. She tried to get up but a lady who she didn't really notice was there before, pushed her down.

"It's okay, my child. We won't hurt you. You need to lay down," her soft voice somehow helped Leo to calm down.

She leaned against the hard pillows and looked around in wonder.

Where on earth am I? The lady had an obvious British accent, unlike my American one. Does that mean I ...

Well, shit.

"What is your name, child? Do you know how you arrived here?"

Leo stared at her and thought for a while.

"My name is Leona Hart," as soon as the words came out of her mouth, she put one palm against her lips in shock. First of all, she had a baby voice. Second, she had a thick British accent! Did that potion come with a package deal or something?

"How did you arrive here? Are you aware of your parents?"

Should I make up a story or act clueless? Saying the truth was definitely not an option. The lady might freak out and burn me alive!

"I don't remember," she mumbled.

Leo decided to ask a few things in return. 

"What is your name?"

The lady looked at her, a bit surprised but soon smiled kindly, "You can call me Martha, dear."

"Where am I, Martha?"

"Oh, this is an orphanage. The Wool's orphanage."

Wait a minute.

That means...

Leo, feeling a sense of urgency, explained with a rushed tone, "I think I must have bumped my head somewhere because I can't seem to remember a thing. What year is it?" She accompanied her words with an awkward smile, hoping Martha would provide some clarity.