The Reichenbach Fall (Part 5)

Start from the beginning

"Oh, please ..." John said tightly.

He shakes his head in disbelief and turns away, laughing humourlessly as he walks to the door.

"Tell him, would you?" Mycroft said.

John opens the door and walks away, leaving the door open behind him.

***

BART’S LAB.

The lights are now on. Sherlock and Vaness sits on the floor with their back against the bench. They were holding each other's hand.

"I want to go with you." Vaness whispered.

"John needs you." Sherlock said.

Vaness sighed, it was true.

"I know." She said.

Sherlock started bouncing a small rubber ball off the floor and cupboard in front of them and catching it before repeating the action constantly. John comes in.

"Got your message." John said.

Sherlock catches the ball and holds on to it.

"The computer code is key to this. If we find it, we can use it – beat Moriarty at his own game." Sherlock said.

"What d’you mean, “use it”?" John asked.

"He used it to create a false identity, so we can use it to break into the records and destroy Richard Brook." Sherlock explained.

"And bring back Jim Moriarty again." John finished.

Vaness and Sherlock stood up.

"Somewhere in 221B, somewhere – on the day of the verdict – he left it hidden." Sherlock said.

The couple turns and faces the bench. John walks to stand beside Sherlock, unconsciously mimicking their stance.

"Uh-huh." John said.

Both of them stare ahead of them, thinking. Vaness started to drum her fingers on the desk exactlythe same way Moriarty did, she also hummed softly the tune. John purses his lips, then looks at Sherlock.

"What did he touch?" John asked.

Sherlock noticed Vaness' fingers.

"An apple. Nothing else." Sherlock answered.

Sherlock briefly drums his fingers on the bench.

"Did he write anything down?" John asked.

"No." Sherlock answered blankly.

John hisses in a breath and looks away, racking his brains and again unconsciously mimicking his friend by drumming his own fingers on the bench. After a moment, he turns and walks across the lab, blowing the breath out again.

Sherlock lifts the fingers of his right hand, hesitates for a moment, then begins to drum them again but now he’s beating out a specific rhythm and, in his mind, binary code begins to stream out from his fingers. He turned slightly to smile greatfully at Vaness. He lifts his head as John sighs heavily, unaware of Sherlock’s sharpened expression. Straightening up, Sherlock turns his back to John, takes his phone out of his pocket and begins to type a text message:

Come and play.
Bart’s Hospital rooftop.
SH

He pauses for a moment, then adds:

PS. Got something
of yours you might
want back.

Sending the message, he tucks his phone away into his jacket and then turns back towards the bench, his eyes full of thought.