46 | The One With The Return

"You hadn't talked to me ever since the flight took off." Madhav says looking at Shree. He gently tugged at her blue shirt. "What's wrong chellam?"

"You said you'd be back in an hour." Shree hissed.

"Yeah I did." Madhav says leaning onto his seat in the plane.

"You were gone for two and half hours!" Shree whispers angrily. "Asshole, where were you? I was so worried! Thank goodness you came back before we boarded the plane."

"I went to get Madhu this!" He says and pulls out a big Dalmatian soft toy. He looks past Shree to find Madhu playing with her rabbit and teddy bear. "Kannamma, do you recognize this fire fighter Dalmatian puppy?"

"That's Marshall from Paw Patrol!" Madhu exclaims in wonder.

"He's yours!" Madhav says and gives it to her. Madhu shrieks as she holds the new addition to her soft toy collection.

"Thank you, Nanna." She says and smells her new toy. "Buddies, we have a new friend. Meet Marshall! He's the best firefighting doggy!"

"Really Madhav?" Shree asks. "Two and a half hours for a toy? I'm not a child to buy that!"

"Okay! Come with me!" He says, unbuckling his seatbelt and standing up.

Shree follows him. Madhav goes into the washroom and quickly pulls Shree in.

"Madhav, this is not the-" She says as Madhav starts to undo his belt.

She gasps when he pulls a side of his denim jean down and lifts his black shirt up.

"I went to get this tattoo." He says.

Shree caresses the old tattoo that had an intertwined S and M, which now read Shree and Madhav.

"You know who I got this tattoo for. I thought of modifying it a little so that it would be more intimate." He says. "I asked the tattoo artist to add H R E E after S and to add A D H A V after M."

He looks at Shree who was intently looking at the modified tattoo.

"Chellam, do you like it?" He asks.

"I do, Madhav." She says. "But it must have hurt-"

"It did, but it's worth it." Madhav says buckling his belt.

"You should have at least told me-"

"And what- ruin the surprise?" He asks looking at her. "You actually did, you know? I was planning to show it to you tonight but-"

"You can still show it in the night." Shree says. "I'll try to act surprised."

"You ought to look surprised otherwise I'd look mad." He says smiling. "Come on, let's go back to our seats."

"Mumma, when are we going back to Lewisham?" Madhu asks as Shree sits beside her.

"Madhu, baby, we aren't going back. We are going to our family in India." Shree says.

"So, no more Oli and Nick and Lewisham and swimming classes?" Madhu asks.

"I don't think so kannamma." Madhav says and Madhu frowns.

"I don't want to go! I want to go back!" Madhu says crossing her arms.

"Madhu, you'll love it in India." Shree says soothingly caressing Madhu's head. "We have a big house. You can have your own room. There is a very big garden and your grandparents will be there with you all the time. Shyaam Mama and Aunty Devi will also be there and, and-"

"There's a big swimming pool. I can teach you how to swim. And as Mumma said we have a big garden; big enough to raise two dogs. How about a dog like Zuma and Marshall? Hmm?"