31 | The One With The News

12th February 2017

-S H R E E     P R A S A D-

People do not realize how important some decisions can be, until they make wrong decisions. Decisions which you believe to be most right, can end up wrong.

Right decisions which you take at the wrong place and the wrong time can end up wrong too.

I made a rash decision a month ago. It was when I had a grudge with Madhav after he found out about my job. I wanted to get away from him after the party at the RK mansion. That night I came across an email to a link. The Queen's Scholarship Lottery- where 25 lucky winners would be entitled for a fully funded scholarship to pursue a degree of his or her choice at the University of London. I applied for English Literature: something I wanted to do initially instead of Management. Amma and several other relatives said that Literature has no scope to carve out a decent living.

I thought the degree would be the best excuse to stay away from Madhav.

I received an email from the UOL Arts faculty mentioning that I got selected and my three-year degree on English Literature would commence in another one month.

I never expected us to reconcile very soon. I never expected that I would be one of the winners out of million other who would have applied. Sometimes it is too bad that one get's to be too lucky.

I do not want to be away from Madhav for a very long time. At the same time, I don't want to miss the opportunity as valuable as this.

I have decided to take the offer and fly to London. It is just three years away from him, whereas I have a lifetime with Madhav. It was easy to convince myself, but the herculean task was to convince Madhav.

The whole morning, I prepared a long speech to convince him. I made counterarguments for everything Madhav would say. Overall, I made a flawless speech. There is no way I could go down with that speech.

I spend the whole of the afternoon memorizing and practicing it.

"This is the 21st century Madhav! I can have dreams as you do! And I have every right as you do to chase after them! I have supported you, helped you and stood by your side as your pillar of strength. Don't you think it's time for you to be my pillar of strength? Isn't that what husband and wife should do?"

I stop as I see his car enter through the big gates of the RK Mansion.

A few minutes later, he walks into our room. He's wearing a light blue shirt, something I picked for him to wear, and he looks tired. He goes to take a seat on our bed and looks at me, with a warm smile on his weary face.

"Tiring day?" I ask as I walk towards him. He nods as I stand facing him, while he undoes his dark blue tie. He wraps his arms around waist and rests his head on waist, sighing.

"Such a busy day. I rarely got the time to sit and breathe properly." He says softly breathing against my waist, as I run my fingers through his jet-black hair. He has been having a lot on his shoulders to worry about. Thankfully, Shiv is no longer a problem. Shiv was arrested two days ago. The Deputy Police Inspector of Mumbai sent an image of Shiv being shoved up into the police vehicle.

He looked skinny, hardly the man I used to remember. Madhav felt so relieved when he found out.

"But the important thing is you overcame today's hardship." I say and he looks up at me. "If it doesn't kill you it makes you strong, right?"

"I love how you are so supportive." He says in wonder and kisses my waist.

"Madhav, I need to tell you something." I say, breaking away from him and I sit beside him. "A few weeks ago-I-I-I applied for a scholarship from the University of London and I got selected."