Chapter 3

-: Chapter 3:-

The door slammed shut behind me as I entered my house.

If I were to describe my house in one word, I’d say “ordinary”. It has two floors (my mom once said it was a bungalow or something), with just enough place for three people to live in comfort; me, my dad and my sister, Katherine. On the first floor is four bedrooms, a bathroom, a small “formal” living room and the kitchen.  Leaving the basement more open. It’s all one large room – the family room – with a small bathroom on the side. Nothing special at all.

I kicked my muddy Converse off on the mat at the entrance. It had been raining outside, heavily, and I was soaked through. I could feel a headache coming. ‘Great,’ I thought. ‘Just what I need.’

It had been a long week. Filled with projects and assignments all blurring together as one, and the little tutoring mishap on Wednesday, I couldn’t be more grateful that the weekend had arrived. Ever since he cancelled on the tutoring session that day, it looked as if Jaspar was avoiding me. I only saw him three times since, and all those times, we’d make eye-contact for a brief second, and then he’d walk away without a second glance. It was weird.

I dropped my bag near the steps, while going to the kitchen to find something to fill my grumbling stomach.

The house was quiet, being that I was the only one home. Dad was at work, and according to the note on the fridge, he was finishing late tonight. As for Katherine, she was off at college, though she was coming to visit in a week, during her break.

I found some leftover pizza from last night and started digging in. after heating it up, of course. After that pizza, I went to room, dragging my bag behind me. I threw my bag on my bed. I took out my homework from it and placed it on my desk, keeping in mind that I’d have to do it later.

But not now. No, now was the time to relax. It was Friday night and I was thinking a movie marathon with me, myself and I.

Humming a tune that had found its way into my head, I made my way to the bathroom for a well-needed shower.

One step into the scolding hot water was enough to make my muscles ease up. My iPod was playing softly in the background. The soft voice of Ed Sheeran singing ‘Lego House’ filled the small bathroom. The gentle sounds of the guitar, mixed in with Ed’s lovable voice, and the feeling of the hot water washing away the stress that had built up over the week, was enough to make me sigh happily. I really needed this me-time.

Just as the instrumental beginning of ‘Paradise’ by Coldplay started, I stepped out of the shower. I sang along as I changed into my favourite pair of pajamas. Not only were they softer than any material found on this planet, they were also covered in little sleeping kittens. What more do I need?

“Every tear a waterfall,” I sang softly along. “In the night, the stormy night, she closed her eyes. In the night, the stormy night, away she flied.”

I combed through the intangible knots in my hair, almost snapping my comb in the process. Sometimes I hated having curly hair. It was harder to manage. Once finished, I left my hair down so it could air-dry. I hated using the hair-dryer. It made my hair ten times frizzier.

I turned my iPod off, the proceeded downstairs where my movie marathon was to commence. I was feeling some superhero movie today.

I grabbed my favourite blanket, ran upstairs to quickly make some popcorn, and then turned on the PlayStation 3, logging onto my Netflix account before finally settling down on the couch.

I flipped through genres and movie titles before settling on The Amazing Spiderman, one of my personal favourites. And that wasn’t only because Andrew Garfield was super attractive, it was a good movie in general. One that made me laugh and cry all at once.