The Arrangement

The next few nights, they had the same dream.

They met, and smiled at each other, tentatively and shyly, like teenagers at a mixer.

"I can't sneak around. I can't," she said on the first of those nights.

"I know, Lili-Flower. That part is definitely wrong."

"We'll be back at Lafa II soon enough," she said, "And then, he thinks he wants to file for divorce."

"I never wanted you and Joss to have pain."

"I know."

"Whatever I have caused, oh, I so did not wish for that to happen."

"The cracks were already there," she said.

"No sneaking," he said, "But you, you will tell me if, well, whatever happens with your marriage, yes?"

"Yes. Of course," That could be a happy end to it, but she couldn't quite see it behind the fog of pain she was feeling.

The dream ended this way every night.

He would put his hand on her, in an act far more intimate than a kiss.

He placed it on her belly.

=/\= 

September second arrived – Joss's birthday. And Malcolm's. Lili had promised to bake a cake.

But her PADD was flashing. She took a look – a letter from Dayah.

Emmiz and I have wed. I hope he understands he will be taking care of an old woman in a few decades. But I am happy, despite my many familial complications.

I hope you are happy as well.

– Dayah

The letter from the Xindi was not upsetting in and of itself, but it did remind Lili of Erell, the Andorian baby who had not lived to see the end of her first day. She stood in quarters and wept.

Doug came in, looking for clothes, "We got his birthday today," he said, "Can you hold it together?"

That was all the comfort he offered – small comfort indeed.

"Yes, I think so. I will, I'll make sure to," she said. She dried her eyes and left.

=/\=