Making the Best of a Bad Situation

Yimar sat in quarters, Joss climbing all over her. She punched a console button, “I need to contact Lafa II,” she said.

Chip Masterson came on, “Hang on,” he said, “Okay, go ahead.”

Treve's face filled the little screen, “What's going on?” he asked jovially, then realized she was worried, “Are you all right?”

“There's, um, there's something going on,” she said, voice a bit on edge, “Ten humans were grabbed, including his parents,” she indicated Joss, who was holding onto the edge of a desk and sucking his thumb.

“Do you want to come home? Do you want me to call Father?” Treve asked.

“No, to both,” she said, “I, they can't really let me off anyway. They have to go looking. And I almost want to see if I can work this out myself.”

“Yimar, you don't have to.”

“I know. But, uh, I kinda like being independent like this. And nobody ever leaves our system. I don't wanna spoil it for everybody.”

“C'mon, you're not spoiling it. Things, they, they happen,” Treve said.

“You get to be independent.”

“I am six years older than you are, Yimar.”

“Well, I still want to, I want to try. And I don't want to give up on his parents. It's only been a few hours. How far can any ship get? It's not like anyone can go faster than Warp Seven,” she pointed out, “They have other ships that are looking, too.”

“Is it the Klingons? Their space is nearby, you know.”

“I know. And that's who they first contacted. It seems unlikely, or at least they didn't do anything official or anything like that.”

“I don't want you to be in danger. You're my sister and I love you. Besides, Father will kill me if you get hurt.”

She smiled a little, “I'll be fine. Like you said, things happen.”

“Keep in touch,” he said.

“I will. Yimar out.”

She looked over at Joss, “'Ommy?” he asked.

“No, not Mommy.”

“Daddy?”

“No, my brother is not your Daddy.”

“'Ommy!” he yelled, then began to wail loudly.

She found the stuffed dinosaur, but that wasn't comforting enough. Then she set him on her lap, shushing him and rocking him, but that didn't work, either. He just kept howling “'Ommy! 'Ommy!” over and over again, teary and becoming more and more incoherent as his face reddened and got wetter and wetter.

Yimar began to realize she was his only caregiver and comforter, on a ship where she knew nearly no one.

=/\= 

Kick.

Lili finally let out the breath she'd been holding. Still shaking, she looked up slightly, to see Malcolm still leaning over her, kind of smothering her a little bit, and kneeling in front of her.

Then she noticed something else.

A hand groping her.

Crystal blue eyes met darker blue eyes.

Then mouths collided.

Then other body parts collided.

And so it continued, in four other chambers, variations on a theme.