It Stopped Being a Demonstration

He left her to sleep, trying not to think about things. He didn't sleep well, and his dreams were fitful, mostly a lot of people wandering in and out but no one was talking directly to him and he wasn't talking to them. In the morning, he returned to the shared quarters to get some clothes. She was up and Yimar was showering.

"Doug," she said, still in bed, "I don't want to end it. I do love you, you know."

"You just told me you're in love with another man. Isn't ending it what's supposed to happen?"

"Why is it impossible for me to love – and really and truly be in love with – both of you?"

"Because it is."

Yimar came back into the room, clad only in a towel.

"I'll, um, I'll see you at the shuttle," he said, and left the room.

=/\= 

Pamela was alone when she woke. Her PADD was flashing.

Went to the gym. See you at the class. I have to prepare.

– MR

She shook her head, "You got it bad. I even heard you talking in your sleep, saying her name. Or at least I guess it was her name. Flower something," she said to no one, and went to her suitcase to select an outfit. A bit of bright green cloth caught her eye. He'd brought back her scarf. "I guess this is it. There's new royalty in town."

=/\= 

Laura Hayes was almost sixty, with greying brown hair and hazel eyes. She wore a black suit and had a briefcase with her. She looked at Doug with wide-eyed surprise but then was bowled over by Joss.

"Joss, take it easy," Lili said, "He's very excited. He loves everyone."

"He must be a very pleasant child," Laura said.

Doug made the introductions and Yimar took Joss and amused him by showing him how to spin the thin bracelet on her wrist.

They sat down.

"I, um, this must look very strange to you," Doug said.

"Yes," Laura admitted, "I am, I know it's impossible. But I could swear that you were my brother's doppelganger. Although perhaps you're aged forward in time a year or so. Jay died in 2153," she sighed, "Six years ago. At least our parents didn't survive to see that."

"Were you and Jay very close?" Lili asked.

"A little. He was younger than me but he could be very overprotective. I guess that's military for you."