The Fall of Black Rock Canyon

(Bennett)

Dodging left, the blade narrowly missed my throat giving me the upper hand. Locking my grip onto the rogue's wrist and shoulder, I managed to knock the blade out of his grip, catching it before it toppled to the woodland floor. With a well-executed twirl of the blade, I jabbed it into the rogue's chest twice before shoving him away.

"B, behind you!" I heard Jax shout and immediately turned to find another rogue making a beeline for me. He brandished a large blade in uncoordinated swings as if demonstrating how he wished to slice me up.

Ducking down to escape the wild swing, the air around me shifted as the sound of a snarl and growl met my ears. Those vicious growls were shortly accompanied by the rogue's agonized screams of pain that barely drowned out the sound of crushing bones.

Scrunching my brows in disgust at the blood that spilled and splattered, recognition of the large wolf quickly dawned on me. With a shiny, healthy pelt of deep brown, an exact shade of his hair colour, his wolf form robust and charging the air around him with a dominating aura, my mate was truly a monstrous sight to behold.

I couldn't help the flutter of pride that went through me.

He was vicious and absolutely feral in his wolf form, moving his head in a side-to-side fashion with powerful jaws clamped down onto the rogue's neck, tearing and pulling at flesh until the rogue's screams died away amongst the sounds of growls, snarls, gunshots, screams, and yelling that surrounded us. The rogue fell limp, his body lifeless.

Carter snarled possessively; his wolf head lowered, and hackles raised. Slowly, he made a show of stepping back until his side brushed against me.

There was an incoming group of five rogues: two in human form and the other three in wolf form. It hadn't escaped my notice that Carter took a protective chance, ensuring that he was the obstacle between me and the rogues, acting as a physical shield.

For a split moment, I placed my hand against the scruff of his neck, my hold on the blade tightening ever so slightly as tiny, powerful electrical impulses shot up through my arm, leaving my palm tingling.

It never ceased to amaze me, our bond. Even though we were fully mated, our bond still continued to grow and deepen but even in human form, those electrical sparks weren't as strong as it was now.

Why didn't I feel the surge of those sparks when I had been in wolf form for the Hunt? Was it because we hadn't yet consummated the bond, or was Carter's animal side that more dominating now that we'd marked the other?

Carter growled, his body lowering to a stance of attack, one in which he was about to pounce on the incoming rogues. With them only meters away now, I swung the blade out and watched it fly through the air, catching one of the rogues in human form, right between the eyes.

From the corner of my eye, I saw the monstrous figure of my mate's wolf snarl and bark before pouncing forward, large, strong paws pushing back a rogue in werewolf form. His paw planted firmly at the dead centre of the rogue's chest; Carter barely gave the guy a fighting chance wasting no time in going for the kill.

Admiration for my mate's ferocity was short-lived as the air shifted near me and I turned my focus back to the fight in time to throw my arms up in a defensive position to block the rogue wolf pouncing my way. He jumped, his jaw clamping onto my forearm that drew an agonized growl from me, but I didn't let him take me down that easily, rather using the force of his collision to my advantage.

Dropping back, the rogue wolf whimpered as I got my legs up under his belly and propelled him forward. As he went rolling the other way, I rolled onto my stomach catching sight of a blade lying just inches away. Making a mad dash for it, I managed to roll onto my back once again just in time throw up my forearm to stop what would have been a lethal chomp to the throat.