Man of Steel

(Carter)

"I shouldn't have to tell you how incredibly stupid that was. What were you thinking? That killing yourself would solve everything? Suicide is never the answer!"

"You wouldn't understand. Your mate is perfectly fine and alive." I shot back, earning myself a dry stare and a growl in return.

For the last fifteen minutes, I've been sat on the couch watching Jace pace up and down while listening to him condemn my stupidity from last night. The others were here to, spectating the argument that started up the moment Jace stepped through the front door.

It was just a few minutes past ten in the morning. I hadn't slept nor had I eaten.

Dale had stayed the night in the cottage, all of them taking turns watching over me. He'd left early this morning to freshen up and check on Laken whom he had arrived with on his way back to the cottage. Sky, Ash, and Jaxon had also stayed the night.

Ash had brought back some of Jaxon's clothes with him last night, and they used the bathroom in the cottage. Thankfully, they used it separately and Ash managed to refrain from jumping his mate's bones which was well helped with the fact that Jaxon had left pretty early this morning. In fact, just at the crack of dawn.

"Oh!" Jace retorted exasperatedly making me roll my eyes. "So, just because I don't understand," he mocked, "I shouldn't talk?"

"I don't like what I become when control lapses and where I'm headed, there is no control! Sooner or later, I'm going to become a mindless beast that will hurt the people I care about. We all saw what happened in Pymbrooke Creek. If I slip anymore, nothing will bring me back."

Jace stopped pacing to cross his arms over his chest and shot me an unamused glare.

I shook my head when he raised an eyebrow as if daring me to continue.

"You would never understand what it's like to struggle every single day to stay in control, and then suddenly, someone comes into your life and there's balance. There's meaning. And when it's gone, you're never the same. You'll never be okay, and you'd rather die than go without that person. Your anchor. The thing that keeps you sane and gives meaning to all your struggle."

Silence followed as Jace glanced over to where Sky sat on the couch. Sky was already looking at him with a small smile, and that same loving gleam almost as if he fell in love with Jace every time he looked at his mate.

Dale and Laken looked to one another, the sub blushing from his mate's lovestruck stare.

Ash smiled softly. "No, I definitely wouldn't." Ash said then from his spot on the couch near Sky, confirming that he would probably do the same if he were in my shoes.

"Why are you getting so worked up, anyway? It's my choice-"

"You never gave up on me, okay!" Jace shot back making me frown. He scoffed. "When I was in transition, I was scared out of my mind. I didn't know what the hell was going on and honestly, I thought I was dying. I thought the cancer was winning. Hell, not even Sky knew what was going on."

Jace shook his head. "But not you. You went to the Council; you got the pack heads involved. You talked to several pack doctors, and you even visited other packs. You did everything you could to help me, to assure me that I wasn't going to die, and that Sky's mating mark had actually worked."

"We're friends, Jace. This was all new to you and with everything you and Sky were facing, you both needed the support."

"Exactly!" Jace stated firmly. "You're my best friend, Carter. The same way you never gave up when the odds were against me, I am not giving up and letting you quit so easily."