Anchor

(Carter)

Nobody said anything.

We had gotten back over three hours ago having them immediately rushed to the medical office at Black Rock. With the severity of Lance's wounds, I'd come to learn that he'd been transported to the local hospital where there was a better stock and access of the medical supplies and equipment needed to treat his condition.

There was still no word on him. Tucker and Jason had left to go to the hospital with him. Jace had volunteered to go with them since his father worked there and specialized in treating werewolves. He'd said he'd put in a word for them.

Davin had been stitched up and was currently recovering. His condition, though not as deplorable as Lance's, was being monitored since he harbored a fair number of gashes and cuts, carrying a few bruised ribs and then two that were fractured. He'd also lost a lot of blood, no doubt, they'd tortured him enough to bleed half to death. He needed a blood transfusion too, and they were currently awaiting news of stock with his blood type from the hospital. He needed at least two pints of blood, one of which was being given by his twin.

Luckily, all the stresses of tending to both Davin and my mate, and then those who had been injured- though not severely- during the raid we'd undertaken at Valley Heights' slum hadn't fallen solely on Lisa's shoulders. My father had called upon Isaiah who then commanded Marcana's medical officials to lend their practice to Black Rock.

Glancing around the waiting room at the medical building, I took note of the grim faces surrounding me. Zoe was seated opposite of me, holding her head in her palms. Her mate sat beside her, absentmindedly rubbing calming circles onto her shoulders. He was in world of his own, his expression blank for the most part.

All the adults of Beehive's Black Rock family were here, cramped into the waiting room thus making it appear smaller than it was. Jaxon and Maia were here too, as were my friends. We were all worried about his condition and each second that ticked away made me wriggle in my seat often.

He'd been behind closed doors for almost three hours now and there hadn't been so much as a whisper on what was happening with him. Lisa, and two medical officials from Marcana had been the ones to tend him. I'd felt his pain, and then his calm which told me he was at least unconscious, perhaps slipping into sleep.

My parents sat on either side of me, dropping what they'd been doing once they had received word that we were on our way back. For that matter, mom and dad were already at Black Rock when we'd arrived.

I wriggled in my seat again, crossing my arms over my chest as my leg began to bounce for maybe the thousandth time since that door had closed. My parents sensed my unease and tried to keep me calm.

Dad engaged me in conversation, talking about anything that could keep my mind occupied. From the game on Friday night, congratulating me on winning and letting me know that he was impressed with my speed. Our conversation about the game had taken a turn and we'd ended up talking about sports that eventually led to him asking about my application to Starlight City University.

With all this crap happening around us, I'd forgotten to check my email account in case the university had tried to get in touch with me. Though I had a good feeling about it, I couldn't think about getting into college now. The university wasn't going anywhere. It could wait.

The door opened then, and I was the first person to stand. My knees wobbled slightly, exhaustion and hunger suddenly smashing me as it had been hours since I'd last eaten. There was also the incident back in that basement where I'd upchucked everything I'd eaten, reminding me once more that I was running on fumes.