Getaway

(Carter)

Mom and dad glanced to one another, exchanging similar inquisitive stares. They had been preparing dinner when I got home since I had football practice that afternoon. Dad stopped cutting up vegetables for a salad and mom stopped stirring the pot as I waved them over and motioned toward the adjoining dining room.

They left the kitchen and followed me, exchanging curious glances when they saw me sit down at the table. I wasn't wasting any time. I wanted them to know. After everything they'd been putting up with from me these last few months, they deserved to be the first ones to know.

Other than Asher and Jaxon. It didn't surprise me that they knew. Jaxon was Bennett's best friend. If he wasn't told, eventually he would've figured it out and then West would have told Asher, or the sub would've figured it out soon. I haven't really been putting a lid on my desperation, and I didn't care if a desperate beta was a shameful wolf.

I needed Bennett in my life. I craved the normalcy, and the balance the bond brought me. I functioned as I should and lived up to the respectable repute my father had put forward which I was determined to fulfil and like every upcoming prominent leader, surpass my predecessor.

But I couldn't do it without him.

"Is something the matter, sweetie?" my mother asked as they walked into the dining room. My father took his seat while my mother soothingly finger combed my hair before sitting in the chair next to her mate.

"I have something to tell you. Some good news."

I was a bit nervous. I wanted them to be happy, but the first impression they had of Bennett wasn't a good one. He had remained unofficially introduced until the gala almost four months ago, when he was practically announced as an addict to three quarters of the town. I was unsure of what their reaction may be when I said that he was my new mate.

Scratching at my cheek, I noted that they both watched me carefully, intently awaiting my next words.

"I've found my mate."

Dad did a double take as if to ensure he'd heard me right. Mom's jaw was hanging slightly open. I'm sure they were taken back, not only because the news was sudden and random, but it had only been four months since I'd been rejected. It was probably the shortest time ever that a wolf had gotten his second chance mate. For some, it took a year. Like Jaxon.

For others, it sometimes took years. And for the unlucky ones, sometimes they never did. I should count this as a blessing. Not that I didn't already know it. It's a blessing in itself that Bennett even allows me within five yards of his presence let alone speaks to me given all I've done.

If it wasn't bad enough I'd beaten the shit out of him, I'd gone further to stretch the truth and mock his condition. I so wish I could go back in time and bitch slap some sense into my stupid brain.

"Well," mom prodded, her gaze expectant and her tone jubilant. Excited.

Yeah mom, don't hype me too much. I'm already dangerously thrilled at the idea of another mate. If you hype me more, I may do something incredibly embarrassing and stupid and Bennett will probably never look my way again.

"Who is she?"

I laughed uneasily at that. "My new mate's actually a... another boy."

"Oh..." came their reply making me frown deeply. Is that all they can say? Are they that disappointed?

"We're not disappointed." my father spoke, and I swear to the goddess on my grave, I nearly screamed. I always hated how they did that. It's like they are mind readers intent on giving me a heart attack.