Phase One: Uprising

(Bennett)

"You really believe that you can do my job?"

It was done. I had issued the challenge and had been correct about the reaction.

Most of the adults, and even some teenagers were cramped into the building we used for pack meetings. Most of them raged with their disapproval; shouting, groaning and complaining, and voicing their feelings about my challenge. They held no confidence in me and believed that I would cause the fall of this pack. They doubted my ability to command the defense unit and protect them.

But that was just the beginning. Hate followed. They brought back the incident that happened all those years ago between my mother and Vince. They claimed that someone else should be named the next commander rather than the son of a 'whore'.

My anxiety was spiking with all of them talking over the other, ignoring their alpha's call for silence and ignoring the beta and third-in-command's attempt to retain some semblance of control. With each venomous insult they spewed my way, my confidence continued to wither away, and I was beginning to second guess whether or not I was truly right for the job.

My heartbeat was irregular, and I was seconds away from bolting and caving. Those thoughts came back to haunt me. This is what I'll have to deal with as fourth-in-command. No one would respect me. Worse; I had taken the masochistic chance of glancing to where my father stood amongst the crowd of agitated Black Rock wolves to see that sinisterly smug gleam and grin of his.

He was enjoying seeing the result of all his work. Years of dumping on my mother and me, of treating me like shit behind closed doors and in plain view of other pack members had finally paid off.

Why did he hate me so much? I had done nothing to elicit such hatred. I had only ever sought his acceptance. I'd even sought Mandy's and Cheryl's only to be slapped in the face, insulted and have my very existence berated. Told that I was disgusting. A disgrace to the commander rank and therefore, undeserving of their time and acceptance.

Even now as I stood on the podium at the front of the meeting hall, I could see the same sinister expression on Cheryl's face. She too delighted in the fact that they had successfully turned the subordinate majority against me. Mandy glared at me in disgust and hatred.

I did notice her eyeing my mate- who stood off to the side leaning against the wall to my right, much like every elite warrior- and her gaze was sickeningly lecherous. Until she looked at me. She glared as though she wanted me dead.

Tingles suddenly shot up my arm as a hand firmly clasped mine. I said nothing as Carter gently led me off the dais and out through the side door exit. He closed the door shut muffling the rowdy protests of the pack.

He cupped my face with both hands making me look into his eyes. "Do not listen to them." he instructed, touching his forehead to mine. My eyes fell shut as his touch grounded my rampaging emotions and brought me comfort and easy breathing.

He was angry by their reaction, but not so much that it would influence and affect my own emotions and actions. In fact, he seemed more disappointed and I can guess why. He was a beta, and in his pack, there was a clear distinction between the subordinates and the higher ups. In Marcana, no one dared upstage a higher ranked wolf or react in such an uncivil manner. They held their prominent leaders in high regard and demonstrated respect and civility at all times.

To him, this was new. Prominent leaders and their successors alike, were not treated differently by subordinates at Marcana. They were leaders. And the subordinate majority accepted that.

"That was insane." he breathed and moved away. His touch fell away only for a moment as he took hold of my hand. I guess he realized that I still needed to ground my emotions if I was headed back into that hall.