Phase Two: The Hunt

(Bennett)

"Hold on..." Jason drawled, sweeping his gaze over each person seated around the table at this lunch hour. Somehow, we had managed to squish eight people around it, six of which were dominants, with one sub and a human.

The little human dude still had no idea that he hung around with a bunch of werewolves, or that Tucker stuck around because they were mates. He had probably assumed that the senior simply took a liking to him and decided to start something. He was clueless to the fact that he was Tucker's luna.

"Am I the only one who's still single?" Jason queried, glaring in envy at each one of us in turn. He was the only one who had yet to find his mate. He was also the type who didn't go dating and sleeping around until his mate showed up as he wanted the full experience of that 'mate magic' as he liked to term it.

"I'm still single." Zain piped up earning himself a glare from Jason, and Carter who followed me around school like a lost puppy. I can't remember the last time he actually sat with his own friends. And as of the last ten minutes, he had been trying to sneak a kiss here and there that I effectively blocked each time.

Because for Carter Kristian Hayes, a single kiss would never be enough.

"You have somebody!" Jason barked, jabbing his fork in Zain's direction eliciting a reaction from their alpha who slapped the dominant's hand away. Jason's hand had been hovering over Tucker's lunch tray.

"Yeah, Zain." Tucker dragged out his words, as though subliminally calling his friend out on his shit. Said person only scrunched his face before turning back to his juice box.

"What are you waiting for, anyway?" I queried, mindful to keep my words vague but straightforward. It was up to Tucker to break the big news to his tiny mate, so until then, we watched our words around the little dude so that we didn't scare him.

Would that not be something?

'Oh, by the way, little dude, werewolves exist and your boyfriend's an alpha male'. Yeah, that would sure end wonderfully.

"Now's not a good time." Zain retorted, earning eye rolls from everyone other than me and Carter, and Sylvester.

The human seemed caught in the conversation, quietly listening on but his expression gave nothing away. Very unlike him, as I had noticed he was usually easy to read and from time to time, demonstrated luna-worthy behaviors such as a genuine care for others. Carter snorted from next to me. He was still wary and insanely jealous of Zain. I don't even know why at this point. He was stuck on the idea that Zain didn't pursue his mate because he was still hung up on me.

Far from it, actually. I kept a neutral reaction understanding from where his words came. With his mate being human, it would be dangerous to introduce him to our world. Add on Zain's rank as a beta, and the pending war against Tobias, it was best to keep the mate in the safe zone.

Also, I don't think Zain had the balls to approach his mate. He deflected each time someone brought up the topic. As of right now, Zain's face was as red as the tomato ketchup on his pizza slice.

Makes me wonder who this amazing person is to have the mighty Zain Walker blushing like a giddy school girl.

"You're going to have to make a move at some point, you know." Jaxon piped up, his mouth full of pizza and ketchup smeared on the side of his mouth. His mate held a napkin out him, gesturing for him to clean up the crap on his face. "He won't wait around."

True. Especially if his mate is human. He'll think it's a crush and eventually move on. Well, try to anyway. And if he does, Zain will suffer.

"I know." Zain defended, slapping his now empty juice box to the tray. "It's just, with everything going on right now, he's better off safe not knowing. Besides, this whole m-" he paused as most of us suddenly coughed or cleared our throats tuning out what could have been a disastrously blown cover.