Hope

(Carter)

"I don't know. I don't really wanna go anywhere."

Twisting my lips, I gave him a childish pout watching as he curled up on his bed, adjusting the pillow and pulling the duvet closer. Muttsey was curled up next to him, and I watched in dissatisfaction as Beehive gently stroked the dog's head, running his fingers along the short hairs.

"Well, that's not going to happen." I shot back, taking note of the sombre air that shrouded him. It was becoming difficult to not miss my sassy little Beehive and his subtle comebacks. I hated seeing him this way. So beaten down and lost.

"Why can't you just understand that I don't wanna do anything? Stop pushing me-"

"I know exactly what you wanna do Bennett, and I'm not going to give you the pleasure of wallowing in your self-hatred and self-pity creating false realities in your mind!"

He fell silent, and Muttsey growled quietly, shushing as soon as Bennett resumed petting him. Muttsey was super protective of my mate, I had noticed. He growled at anyone who raised their voice at Beehive and whimpered whenever he sensed my mate's distress. He went crazy aggressive, viciously attacking the culprit if ever someone raised a hand to Bennett.

But, I didn't care if the dog suddenly turned against me. I was sick of hearing the same set of complaints. Why couldn't he realize he was better than those assholes made him out to be?

I bet they didn't even know his favorite color. I do! It's blue, and at first, I thought it was a typical thing because everyone either likes some girlish or boyish color. I should have known better, and hearing his reason almost made me cry.

"Because, it's the color of the sky. It reminds me of freedom."

Hearing his reason made me realize how trapped he felt, and he just wanted out. He wanted happiness. He craved it. He wanted to be set free and knowing now that it's his deepest desire, far deeper than love reciprocated, I was gonna do every damn thing to help him gain that freedom.

"Principal Dalton gave you the day off. I don't want you locked up in here all day doing nothing but letting those moments and your memories torture you. We are going to spend the day out, doing anything to keep your mind occupied. I hate seeing you like this. Get it through your head that nobody can make you feel worthless other than you. Don't let them win again, Beehive."

I got down on the ground, kneeling before the bed. My actions made him rise up to see what I was doing. Even Muttsey was now confused by my sudden kneeling as the dog tilted its head.

"I'm begging you for my sanity. You want to make me believe you're stronger than you were a year ago, prove it to me by getting out of this bed. Prove it by getting dressed and getting in the car with me. Prove it by conquering those demons you let rule over you for far too long. Prove it by letting me help you because I sure as hell won't give up on you."

His gaze misted. Good! At least now he'll realize that I am dead serious. I won't allow him to give up so easily. Then, caving into the hurt and making a bitter peace with his demons seemed like the best option. He was alone and felt abandoned. Ashamed. He felt as though nobody would be brave enough to stick it out or understand him. It was about time he realized that it doesn't take someone understanding his struggles to stick by him. All it takes is someone who loves him enough to stick it out and pull him through his darkest moments.

I nodded, exhaling deeply now that my goal had been accomplished. "Good. You finally get it. Now, get your sexy ass out of this bed and get dressed. Pack your wetsuit, too."

Getting to my feet, I leaned down again to kiss him on the forehead before taking my leave. Aunt Zoe was home today, as was Korey.

Yesterday evening had been quite eventful.