Ch 9 Section 3

Six months earlier...

As Sam drove Angels Trans-Am, Ruby grinned at him from the passenger seat, "You know what sounds good? French fries. I'm starvin'. I just escaped Hell. I deserve a treat." At his silence she glared, "You know, a 'thank you' would be nice."

"Who asked for your help?"

"You have no idea what I've been through. When Lilith gets pissed, she gets creative. You want to hear about the corners of Hell I've seen, Sam?"

"No." His hands tightened on the wheel as his sister's face flashed in his head, "I don't."

"And the things I had to do to convince her I was sorry? That I could be trusted?"

"Well, this will definitely get you a fat Christmas bonus."

"Very funny. I'm a fugitive... For you, Sam. I took all of this risk to get back to you, so, yeah, I deserve a damn 'thank you.'"

"Who asked you to save me?"

"I'm just trying to help."

"Can you help me save Angel?"

"No." She eyed him, "Nothing I know of is powerful enough to do that."

Sam glared as he quickly pulled the car over, "Then I have no use for you."

"What?"

"Get out."

"Sam-"

He scoffed, turning to study her, "Whose body are you riding, Ruby?"

"What do you care?" She narrowed her eyes, "You've never asked me that before."

"I'm asking now."

After a thick stretch of silence she shrugged, "Some secretary."

"Let her go."

"Sam-"

His eyes never left hers, "Or I send you right back to Hell."

Later that night, at a hospital...

A woman laid in a coma on a hospital bed with the name 'Doe, Jane' on it.

"Alright." The doctor nodded to his nurse, "Pull it."

After the nurse pulled the plug the machines that were still attached to her began to beep rapidly as the woman died. Suddenly she sat up and gasped in a breath when Ruby entered her body.

Ruby looked between their shocked faces, "Who do I have to kill to get some French fries around here?"

Inside an abandoned house...

Sam, still looking run down, sat at a table quietly cleaning Angel's AE. He was momentarily distracted by someone knocking on the door. Grabbing the shotgun, he slowly opened the door to reveal Ruby in her new body.

"Proof." She held up a piece of paper, "This body is 100% socially conscious. I recycle. Al Gore would be proud."

Sam studied the paper as she walked in, "You grabbed a coma patient?"

"You didn't want me to take a body with someone in it, and I made sure that the spirit was gone. Apartment was empty. You happy?"

Sam followed her through the house, "Why are you here?"