Chapter 1

Late, late, late!! Those words kept repeating themselves in Natalia Sheffield's head as she rushed into her office building. Pushing through the double glass door, she was thankful to see the elevator doors opening just as she stepped in front of it. 

'Please hold it for me, Nat!' 

A voice called for her as she stepped inside and turned around. Smiling, she placed her hand on the door to let her friend and colleague in. 'You too, huh, Linda?' 

Linda rolled her eyes, taking a sip from her latte as she watched the numbers go up. 'This issue of using the bus is cramping my style!' 

'When is your car getting out of the garage?' At the ding they both stepped out and started walking towards their respective offices. 

'End of the week,' with a shrug Linda pushed her door with her back, her smile lightening up her face. 'See you at lunch. We still on, right?' 

'Yeah, we are,' Natalia replied, with a small wave heading to her own office. Sitting down, she fired up her computer before going through her schedule and that of her boss that day. 

Working as an executive assistant to one of the busiest and wealthiest men in the world would be challenging, daunting even for some people, but Natalia lived for those challenges. She has had challenge after challenge in the past three years and from them she triumphed. 

'Good morning, Miss Sheffield,' her boss' voice boomed as he walked past her to his office. 

'Good morning, sir,' she replied, already getting up with her diary in hand to follow him. Getting in, she made herself comfortable on the seat in front of her boss.

'How was the weekend, Natalia?' he asked, leaning back on his comfortable black leather chair. 

Gibson Howard was the only person who called her by her full name, regardless of the times she  tried to get him to shorten it. She was always called Nat, and long ago someone used to call her Talia. With a smile, she nodded, 'It was fine, sir. How was the meeting in Singapore?' 

'Piece of cake. I will need the minutes for that before end of day and also get in touch with Mr. Alberto's assistant. From there..' for the next ten minutes Gibson narrated what he wanted Natalia to do as well as listen to his schedule and updates from the week he was away. 'I think that covers it. Oh and this weekend we will have our anniversary party. My wife would love to talk to you about the catering company that we have been using for our corporate functions. She will call you later on in the day.' 

Natalia stood up, and with a nod she walked to her desk. Before she could start work her cellphone rang. A quick glance at the screen had her smiling before taking the call. 'Hello, handsome,' she answered, a smile so bright playing on her face. After a five minute conversation with the only man in her life, Natalia was ready to start her day. 

'Come on, Nat!' Linda groaned as she downed her turkey sandwich. 'You have to start living again. You are young, beautiful not to mention successful. Why won't you give romance a chance?' 

Natalia shook her head. This was the same conversation that they always had at these monthly lunches that they did. 'Linda, darling. How many times do I have to tell you this? At the moment I am not looking for any relationships. I have just gotten back on my feet, things are just now going straight for once in three years. And,' she said, holding up her index finger before her friend could say anything, 'I have my house to decorate!' 

'Don't use your house as an excuse,' Linda hissed, her blue eyes narrowing. 'Even if you are not looking, the men surely are looking at you! If only I was not married to my Prince Charming.' Linda exaggerated a sigh, placing her hands over her heart. 'I swear all those men who have their eyes on you would be mine by now!'