Chapter 5:- Mates

Start from the beginning

Selena slowly opened the door and stepped inside. Her wolf was already becoming restless had she was very confused as to why she couldn't smell the scent as her wolf was still not completely back. She was too hurt.

However, the moment Selena looked up and her eyes met with Xavier's, she gasped audibly. Her senses become stronger suddenly as Izzy came out and announced, 'Mate!'

For a second, she just stood there, frozen to the floor, as Xavier's scent hit her with full force, the smell of soil after rain, she loved that smell, and it made her smile. But then, immediately, Selena took a step back. Xavier stood up on seeing that, his eyes gentle but worried, but he didn't say anything.

Selena looked at his face, but she couldn't say anything. It was too soon.

He didn't look surprised, that means he knew about us? He's the alpha, it's been a week he has known then. Why didn't he tell us?

Maybe the hunters were right... he doesn't want us

Is he gonna reject us?

Her eyes became teary on the last thought. Damn... and to think that she thought things will be better now.

Selena didn't say anything, she just shook her head and turned to leave the room, leaving Xavier standing there dumbfounded. She wasn't ready for being rejected just yet.

Xavier on the other hand was shocked. He had imagined her to be angry and ask questions, not for her to just up and leave, and that terrified him. He had been waiting for years to find his mate, and he wasn't going to lose her like this.

"Fuck..." he groaned, his hands rubbing his face roughly.

'Now do you think we should have told her?' Zion asked sarcastically.

Xavier's wolf had told him to tell then and there and to take her in his arms and kiss her and never let her go. Yes, his wolf is a romantic at heart.

Xavier sighed, 'You saw the condition she was in. Us turning all possessive on her would only have made the situation worse for her.'

'Then why wait a week?' Xavier remained quiet, 'Why not tell her as soon as she had settled in?'

'I... I don't know..." Xavier thought, 'I guess I just wanted to wait so that I'd at least know why she didn't feel me, or maybe hoping that she would, you know, recognize me.'

Zion sighed too.

The wolf knew the other thing that bothered him that he didn't say, but he didn't need to. He knew his human inside out to know his every thought.

The office door once again opened, this time, without any knocks sounding on it. the movement caught Xavier's eye and he looked up to find his beta standing there looking worried.

"What the hell just happened?" Ryan asked.

Xavier sighed and sat back down, his elbows rested on the table and he held his face in his palm, "She found out. And she walked out without saying anything. And I can't figure out for the sake of my own life what I should do right now."

"Go talk to her," Ryan said without missing a beat and Xavier looked up. "She's your mate. She needs to know your reason. You both need to know each other. Stop assuming that she won't be okay! You don't know how strong she is. I have seen her these few days. She's so much stronger than you can imagine. In fact, I told her to come to talk to you, she wanted to start training."

"You told her to come and talk to me?" Xavier said with his eyes narrowed.

"Duh, boss," Ryan rolled his eyes and grinned cheekily, "You were taking too long to talk to her." He smirked and walked off. "Oh, she is in her room. Go. Now." Ryan said bossily.

"Sometimes I wonder who is the boss here," Xavier grumbled and stood up.

"Why, you, boss!" Ryan said and Just as Xavier walked by he punched Ryan in a joking manner.

Xavier was glad to have a serious Beta and also a best friend like Ryan.

____|~.~|____

Selena was just sitting in her room idly when a knock sounded on the door. She didn't utter a single worried, she knew he will come in anyway. And he did.

When Xavier walked in the room, Selena was on the bed, her legs folded and her chin resting on her knees, her arms around them. One look in her eyes and Xavier knew that this girl was immensely hurt.

Her eyes were pained, there were so many emotions in there, hurt, disappointment, anger, betrayal. He thought she was hurt because of him hiding it. Even though he wasn't wrong, her reasons went far deeper than just this. As soon as Xavier opened his mouth, Selena stood up, she went and stood right in front of him.

"Right, get it over with," she said confidently.

"What?" Xavier asked dumbfounded.

"I know you don't want me. You would have told me if you did. Please, just get this over with. I will get out of your territory as soon as you rej..."

"Shhh..." Xavier stopped her from saying the word, his palm touched her soft lips making them both shiver in delight. For a second, their wolves howled in their minds together, on the first touch of the mates.

Selena blushed hard as Xavier hesitantly moved his hand. Her skin was so soft and smooth, he didn't want to stop touching them. He licked his lips as he looked at her lips that he just touched. How he wanted to kiss her right there...

Zion chuckled, breaking Xavier of his reverie. The alpha then cleared his throat, and looked at his mate, "I do want you." Selena looked up at him and Xavier smiled sadly, "You have no idea for how long I have been waiting for my mate."

"Then why?" Selena asked.

Xavier sighed. He held Selena by her shoulders and pushed her slightly to make her sit on the bed. When she did, Xavier sat beside her, "I didn't think that this was the right time for us to mate..." he whispered.

Selena stood up abruptly, "You... you wanna mate right now?"

"Isn't that what wolves do? Mates can't even choose to stay apart from their mates for long."

"But I am not ready..." Selena thought to herself, however, she had whispered the words out loud and Xavier heard them.

"I know," he said, standing up himself, "I saw the condition you were in. I don't know what exactly happened but it can't be good, seeing that you couldn't recognize my scent in the dungeon. I didn't want you to feel pressured. Plus, I have my reasons too."

Selena didn't ask for what reasons. She just took a deep breath. There is a lot she still has to do. She knew that she had to become a member of this pack to be here as it would be against the rules to let an outsider stay for too long. She could afford to join another pack, but before becoming a Luna, she wanted to finish a few unfinished businesses.

She nodded gently, "Thank you."

Xavier smiled too, "I will say however that we don't tell the pack now. We should take things slow, for your comfort."

"I'd like it very much." She whispered.

They didn't know how well things were gonna go. And even though these two were extremely attracted, they didn't want to feel the pressure of their pack members. It's not wrong of them to want their leaders to be together, but they can be quite pressurizing sometimes.

Selena was delighted. She was happy to know that her mate wanted her. After all the things those hunters had told her for two whole years, her self-esteem had taken quite the hit.

Xavier on the other hand was ecstatic. He couldn't get over the sweet voice of his mate. Her voice, her face, her beautiful waist-length black hair – Xavier was enchanted, and he had no complaints at all.

______________________________________________

If you guys liked this, please remember to hit the vote button! It would really mean a lot to me. Also, let me know in the comment section what you think of all the characters...

Love you all!! ❤️