Chapter Seventeen

A day later and finally, i was able to drive my own car

A day later and finally, i was able to drive my own car. Shane stayed in the passenger's seat, as my mom and Crystal stayed on the backseat. Both were fast asleep, Shane's eyes would close for minutes and open right after. He couldn't sleep, and to be honest, neither could I, that's why, hours after the CDC had blown to pieces, and my mind running from the doctor's words, my eyes were permanently open. My body was now screaming for rest , but i couldn't . Now, more than ever , i needed to find a safe place for these people. For Carl , for Sophia . For my mom , for my best friend, for Shane . For everyone. I didn't care what that costed, i just knew we needed a safe place.

'' I didn't know you knew so much about that shit back in the CDC '' Shane whispers, his legs were on the open window as i followed Daryl who was driving Ed's pickup truck. Rick was in front of him and Dale who was the first in front of us leading the way .

'' Well '' I shrug , i hear him chuckle and i look at him with a smile on my face . He was so relaxed at this moment , no worries and no responsibility upon his shoulders. '' I liked to be informed of everything when the world wasn't like this ''

He nods.

'' What about you ? No hobbies, nothing that you're keeping secret ? '' I ask .

'' Nah '' He shakes his head '' I worked and i lived alone most of the time, work took most of my time when i wasn't working i was going to football games. You know, those kinds of stuff '' He shrugs.

'' You were really a cop '' I chuckle.

'' What's that supposed to mean? '' He ask's , sounding offended but i knew that he was only playing along.

'' Cliche cop . Don't tell me, you had donuts and coffee for breakfast '' I let a fake gasp from my lips, as i continued to joke with him.

'' You think you're funny '' He chuckles, his hand dropping to my knee as he rubs it . '' I was actually a pancake guy for your information ''

'' Oh , so we are not that cliche ''

'' Hold up , they're stopping '' Shane strokes my leg , as he prepares to leave the car . The RV had stopped and so the cars that were in front of us were stopping too . Why ? I didn't know , because right at this moment we were passing through a graveyard of cars . '' I'll go check on what's wrong, you stay here '' He says , opening the door . But before he leaves , he plants a kiss on my forehead. My cheeks go red at the gesture. He closes the door carefully behind him , and walks to the RV where people were already forming a tiny group .

Not long after Shane left, Rick walked up to the baby blue jeep i was driving. His hands on the loops of his trousers. He threw me a nervous smile , as i opened the door and left the jeep . As Crystal and mom were still sleeping peacefully.

" Shane and T-Dog are going on a run to the gas station, see if they can find a hoose or ducktape. Dale's R.V. broke down " He explained, looking inside the Jeep . He motioned for me to follow him a little bit behind the jeep and i followed suit . " What the Edwin said...i need you to keep it on the low " He spoke, shielding his blue eyes from the sun upon the sky.