Chapter Six

The summer heat started to hit the tent, making me wake up annoyed

The summer heat started to hit the tent, making me wake up annoyed. I looked at my surroundings, realizing where i was. From the blue fabric of the tent, i could tell it was very earlier in the morning as the sun wasn't in the sky yet. I decided to make myself productive and get up. Changing clothes and underwear and tying my hair on a ponytail. I grabbed the bottle of water i had and opened the tent, clearly seeing Dale on watch and no one else. I tied my boots and got out of the tent, grabbing the knife i carried everywhere around me in the process. I walked to the R.V and smiled at Dale who chuckled when he saw me.

'' Up so early? '' He asks, his beige hat on his hand as he looked at me with the smile of a grandpa on his face.

'' The day starts in the morning Dale '' I said cheerfully, although i was still pissed at the fact that i had waken up to the oven that my tent was.

'' So i heard. '' He shakes his head.

'' You need anything? '' I ask, as i stump my feet on the dirt, trying to get rid of some tiny rocks that got stuck on the sole.

'' We're going to need water for breakfast and lunch, you think you can handle it? '' He asks, looking at the cans that Shane carried yesterday.

'' Of course, where's the place? '' I ask, fishing the keys of the jeep on my hand.

'' Back at the quarry, take the jeep. Will be easier '' He points at the place that had the blue water.

'' Will do, see you in a bit '' I say as i walk away.

'' Hey '' He calls me, i stop and turn around '' Be careful, maybe take a gun just in case? '' He says and i nod with a smile.

I walk to the buckets and pick them up, walking to the jeep. I put them on the truck and i got in. Turning the jeep on and pressing the car radio on. My mom's cd, Maroon5 playing. I put it on the reverse and drove back, towards the quarry. I grabbed an energy drink from the cup holder that i had found, and took a sip, lighting a cigarette as i put the window down and drove. The road was clear of dead-ones and people in general,  i guess the end of the world has it that way, still, i kept my eyes open at all the times for any danger on the road, even animals. A ten-minute drive to the quarry and i finally got there, parking the jeep on the road i turn the radio off and i get out, grabbing my knife just in case, before opening the truck and taking the first bucket out. I walked slowly to the water, jumping on some rocks so i didn't get water with sand and rocks. I filled the bucket to the brim and i walked back to the jeep, the water now causing my muscles to work. It was probably twenty gallons of water that i had on the bucket. Finally reaching the truck, i put the lid on so it wouldn't spill water on the trunk and i grab the other one, making my way to the water once again.

The drive back was the same once again, all calm. Except when i got there, people were already waking up and do their respective works around the camp, mom was awake too and she was getting everyone's clothes in a bucket similar to the ones i had on the trunk. I walked with the first bucket to the little kitchen the ladies had and i smiled at my mom who rolled her eyes with a smirk on her face.