Chapter Twenty-Seven

Everyone was now finishing dinner

Everyone was now finishing dinner. Everyone was pretty silent, even tho some of us were trying to keep a conversation here and there. Rick kept glaring at me, and I saw Lori looking at Shane every two minutes. Something was up with her, that I could tell. She didn't pay much mind to Shane after we left the camp back in Atlanta, so what was up with her again?

'' Does anybody know how to play the guitar? Dale found a cool one. Somebody's got to know how to play '' Glenn approached the table with a guitar in his hands.

'' Otis did '' Patricia reminded us, my blood ran cold at that and my stomach dropped.

'' Yes, and he was very good at it too ''

After dinner, I went to my tent and I immediately fell asleep. Although I kept tossing and turning, sleep didn't come easy these days, but since that night happened that every time I closed my eyes I saw him. I felt the weight of the gun in my hand and how his body fell to the ground, and I ran to the truck without a second thought of helping the man. Lucky for me at least, no one bothered me in the morning, I tried to get some sleep even when the sun raised, but as the tent heated up with the summer sun of Georgia, I had no option but to get out and start my day. Fresh clothes on my body and face washed, I walked to the little place there was breakfast and some other chores the ladies were doing. I noticed Lori and Carl sitting at the table, the little boy was already up and walking around, I decided to go there and talk to him.

'' Morning '' I greeted the mother and the child, who when he noticed my presence, didn't waste a second in embracing me. I chuckled, patting his back carefully.

'' Morning Ashley '' Loria greeted me.

'' Morning Ash '' Carl replied.

'' How we're feeling? ''  I sat on the far corner as Carl went back to his place.

'' I'm alright, it still hurts a bit tho ''

'' Yeah, I bet. But take it easy okay? We need you strong '' He smiled at me. '' Everything good around here? '' I asked Lori who, this time was looking at me with a weird look on her face.

'' Everything's okay, there's some coffee on that table over there if you want, help yourself '' She said, averting her eyes again to her son.

'' Thank you '' I got up and walked to the coffee pot and grabbed a mug, pouring some coffee inside and taking a sip. I missed the smell of fresh coffee. I walked around for a while to see if I could help in something, trying to see if I could spot Shane anywhere.

I saw him from a distance, close to the well and his eyes immediately fell upon me, his face showing me a smile and calling me over. I tried to suppress a smile on my own face as I approached the tall man.

'' Morning '' I said, as he let the gardening tools fall to the ground.

'' Morning beautiful '' He snatched my hand and pulled me close to him.