A Distraction

Roman's POV:

"VIRGIL!" I screamed as I ran to him. He looked a little startled, but I didn't care. As soon as I came to him, I wrapped him in an extremely tight hug while he squirmed in my arms.
"Princey...Princey, get off me!" Virgil was saying as he struggled. No. I couldn't let him go. If I did, he could be taken from me again.

I felt Logan trying to pry my arms off Virgil. He was failing.
"Roman, we really have to get going." he told me calmly. I sighed and pulled away from Virgil, gripping his shoulders in the process. He looked at me guiltily and chuckled.
"You were that worried, huh?" I ignored him.
"What were you thinking? Going in alone?!" Virgil shook his head.
"What, you think I can't handle myself?"
"No, no...it's not that..." I said handing him his hoodie. He smiled.
"OK...what is it then?" he interrogated. I scoffed at him.
"Virgil, I'm supposed to be protec—" I stopped and cleared my throat, realizing I didn't want to talk about that. Virgil stopped putting on his hoodie and looked up at me.
"Sorry...what?" he asked.
"Nothing...nothing..." I said, clearing my throat. Behind me, Logan was probably giving me one of his pity looks. He knew all I wanted was to protect them...

Refusing to make eye contact, I walked in front of Virgil and faced the castle.
"My guess is that's where Patton is." I said, turning to face them again.
Logan nodded, but Virgil shook his head. I squinted at him.
"No?" I asked and he shrugged.
"That may be where he is now, but with Remus here, he could be anywhere in the blink of an eye. We'll never catch him in one place for long." Logan nodded.
"Ah. That does make things difficult..." he stated.

We sat in silence for a moment before Logan continued. "Unless he's distracted..."

———————

Patton's POV:

Deceit and I sat alone in the cell for a long time. It seemed like neither of us wanted to let go. I knew I was doing this for Deceit, but deep down it felt good to comfort someone again. Especially after everything that had happened in the last few weeks.

Deceit was only lightly whimpering now, but I could still tell that he was broken. Broken from years of abuse and pain. His whimpering grew louder when the sound of footsteps could suddenly be heard down the hall. I squeezed him tighter, knowing that the moment that door opened I might have to stand up to Remus this time.

The steps stopped in front of the door, the sound of a latch could be heard, and then the door was pushed open suddenly. But the person there...that wasn't Remus...

"PATTON!" Virgil screamed as he ran forward towards Deceit and I. They did it...they found us. Maybe there was hope.

Deceit pulled away from me and nodded towards Virgil. I gave him a look of gratitude and crawled a bit towards Virgil, but I didn't make it far because he fell to his knees and wrapped his arms around me. He squeezed me tightly, and I didn't even care how much it hurt.

He was sobbing. "Patton...I-I'm sorry...we should h-have been there when...when..."
"Hey, hey..." I whispered to him. He sobbed a bit more. "I'm here now." I whispered assuringly. Poor guy must have been worried sick.

Logan suddenly appeared in the doorway and a huge smile spread across his face.
"Virgil, you found him!" he exclaimed.

Things were going to be OK...they were. Everything was fine. Except...

Where was Roman?...

———————

Roman's POV:

A distraction...

We needed a distraction. The only logical choice was to assign me the job. And by logical choice, I mean literally the most logical choice since Logan himself made the decision.

"Remus..." I called as I walked along the hallways of the castle. He had to be here somewhere...

Oh. Oh no. Oh gosh, no. What if he was following me...

While this was logical...I guess if he was following me, he was distracted...

But what if he was preparing to pounce...would he knock me unconscious again? Was he planning to kidnap me too? Was he going to try and starve me like he did when we were kids...

"Wow." I whirled around to see who had spoken and found Remus right behind me. "Run our of ideas, Ro? Decided to come in alone?" I sighed.
"I had to. It was the only way to protect them..." Remus snickered.
"Oh, sure. You. Protecting them. Nice." He laughed sarcastically.
"What...what do you mean..." I asked. No...I wasn't insecure. I wasn't. I was purely asking to create a distraction...yeah. That was why.

Remus shook his head and grabbed my arm, pulling it up to examine.
"Oh, please Roman. Just look at yourself." he said. I swallowed, knowing what was coming. Nothing he said was true. He was trying to twist my thinking. "Heck. Even Patton has more muscle than you." I pulled my arm away defensively.
"You're not going to trick me anymore, Remus." He held his hands up in defense.
"What? Too much?" he asked. He chuckled. "Too strong to be compared to Patton, are we? Well. I don't blame you." I squinted at him, trying to catch what he was doing. He continued, "That chubby little weakling would offend me too."

I stared at him for a moment in disbelief.
"Have...have you been talking to Patton..." I asked softly. Remus scoffed.
"Talking to him? Sure, all the time. I get a kick out of his innocence. Honestly, it's fun to listen to." he chuckled again. I shook my head.
"Have you been body-shaming him, Remus? Like you did to me?" I was just about seething when I asked this. Remus opened his mouth to reply, but was interrupted by Virgil who had screamed Patton's name on a different floor.

Remus slowly turned to face me and scowled darkly.
"Why, you little..." he started. I panicked.
"VIRGIL, I'M COMING TO GET YOU!" I screamed, running in the opposite direction of where he was.

I thought it was stupid. I thought I was gonna have to turn around and run after Remus, but he was right behind me, trying to be sneaky, so I kept running.

And running. And running.

It was really tiring, but I couldn't stop until they were out.

As I exited the castle, Remus short behind me, I looked over to the entrance to the Imagination, seeing Virgil and Logan climbing through. They made it out. I stopped gratefully and turned to meet a seething Remus.

He scowled at me, fire in his eyes.
"Now..." he spat. "Now, you're gonna pay."