The Truth

TW: Mentions of anorexia, d*pression, and ab*se.
Abuse

Patton's POV:

I opened my eyes to feel the rope still around my hands, my heart breaking as I realized Virgil didn't get to me in time. I was in what looked like...a cell? I don't know. It was really hard to see. I tried to blink away my bad vision thinking it was only from being unconscious, but it only took me a moment to realize my glasses were gone.

I suddenly felt a pair of strong hands grip harshly onto my shoulders and flinched a little, but I was pretty used to it by now. Deceit and Remus always played these games.

"What's the matter, Patt? Tired?" Deceit asked standing up and walking to the other side of the dark cell. I shivered in my seat. Why was it so cold...? When I didn't answer Deceit, he walked back over to me and shoved my arm roughly. "Hey padre, I'm talkin' to you!" He screamed.

I was trying to be brave. I was. But he made it so hard when he screamed at me like that...

I leaned away from his touch and Deceit just laughed. He exited the cell, chuckling to himself the whole time. I didn't even see Remus until he circled around and surprisingly...sat on my lap... I looked up to his blurry face in shock, and he grabbed my chin, rubbing a wet cloth next to my eye.

I winced and Remus rolled his eyes. "Toughen up, Patton. It's just a scrape." He said scooting closer to me on my lap.
"Remus..." I started getting a bit uncomfortable.
"What??" He asked. "Am I being...intrusive?" He snorted at his pun.

I would have too if it weren't for the context.

Remus squinted at me. "Oh, come on, Patton. You're not even gonna laugh at a pun? A joke? A dad joke?" I didn't answer, still leaning against the chair, trying not to whimper. I think I was failing though...I was trying to be as far away from Remus as possible. He sighed and stood, going to rinse the cloth he was using.

Remus shook his head. "If this type of stuff is enough to break you, it's no wonder the other sides protect you from it all." He stated at the sink while I stared at him for a few moments. I finally asked,
"Wh...what are you talking about?" He turned to me and dried his hands.
"Oh, like they're gonna tell sweet, sensitive, innocent Patton what really goes on."

He walked back over to me and pulled out a chair. I shook my head.
"We don't keep secrets from each other, Remus." I stated. He frowned.
"Is that so?" He asked chuckling again.

"Then I guess you knew that Roman used to have anorexia." I stared at him blankly. Roman...he had the biggest ego of us all...no, Remus had to be lying.

"Or," he continued. "Perhaps that Logan suffers from Depression." He added. But...Logan had never...well, that would make sense, actually.

Logan often asked me to run and grab Roman or Virgil without telling me why...

"No, they would have told me those things." I stated. "They know I love them, that I would want to help them."
"Oh, but Patton..." Remus started. "Who would want to risk ruining our little puff ball's optimism? You're too emotional to know...the truth."

No, no. Remus was a jerk, why was I actually listening to him?

Although...what if everyone did think I couldn't handle it...? What if they had been lying to me all these years...

"Oh, and Patton." Remus started again. "Surely, you must know that Virgil grew up in an abusive household." He chuckled and began messing with his sleeves. I felt my heart shatter.

Virgil? No...who would've hurt him? I remembered now...all the nightmares he refused to tell me about. The number of times I had to comfort him at night...how he flinched when I made too sudden movements...

Realization hit me like a wrecking ball to my chest and I immediately broke down into tears.

My family was hurting...and...they lied to me. To try and keep me safe...they didn't think I could handle it...

Remus laughed and stood to leave. I felt like there was something I was forgetting...

Wait...Virgil. He grew up with...with...

"Well Patton, it's been fun."

Deceit...and...

"We'll have to do it again soon."

Remus.

I suddenly glared up at him, meeting his eyes that were looking dumbly at me to see if I would figure it out.

"What's the matter, Pat?"

"You..." I breathed in and screamed, "VIRGIL GREW UP WITH YOU!!!" He nodded and clapped mockingly. "Well done, Patton! You're not as clueless as I thought!!!" He sighed. "Well, it's a start at least."

As he was about to open the door, I pulled my hands roughly over the top of the chair, leaving a large gash on my forearm. But I didn't care. All I was thinking about was my aim as I lunged at an unprepared Remus who looked completely shocked.

"Patton, what in the..."
"YOU HURT MY FAMILY!" Is all I heard myself say.
"What are you..."
"YOU HURT HIM!" I screamed biting at Remus's arm. He quickly kicked me in the gut and I fell to the floor, sobbing uncontrollably.

What was I doing...he hurt Virgil, but making him mad was only gonna make things—

And I felt a sharp pain in my back as Remus kicked me harshly. He shook his head and said, "Maybe you're not as helpless as I thought." I continued to cry softly to myself knowing what was coming.

"I'll have to teach you a lesson, then."