CHAPTER-2

The ancestral haveli of Vrishabh Thakur buzzed with anticipation and excitement. Sunlight streamed through the intricately carved windows, casting ethereal patterns on the marble floors. The aroma of spices and delicacies filled the air as the women of the household orchestrated a symphony of culinary delights, aided by diligent maids.

Vrishabh, a budding political aspirant set to become an MLA, had received a visit from a senior party leader who had recently been appointed as the Health Minister of Bihar. This unexpected early morning arrival, weeks before ticket distribution, sent ripples of hope and optimism through Vrishabh's entire family. They saw it as a fortuitous omen for his political career. Determined to make a favorable impression, they eagerly prepared themselves to shower the esteemed guest with both warm hospitality and a generous offering of cash.

Amidst the bustling preparations, Vrishabh and his eldest son accompanied the distinguished visitor to the serene, verdant lawn of their haveli. The lush greenery embraced them as they settled into comfortable chairs, their faces caressed by a gentle breeze. Tea, fragrant and steaming, was served alongside homemade nimki, a savory delight that danced on the palate.

As they engaged in a spirited discussion about the upcoming elections and their strategic maneuvers, a nimble messenger arrived, bearing a tantalizing tray of Chura-Ghugni, a delectable Bihari delicacy cherished by the guest. This culinary offering, procured from the vibrant local market of the village, further enhanced the convivial atmosphere.

Vrishabh's brother-in-law, Vidur Pandey, suddenly burst into the lawn with an air of urgency and trepidation. However, upon noticing the distinguished visitor, he swiftly composed himself, masking his inner turmoil with a casual jest. Yet, behind the facade, all was not well. Vidur anxiously signaled Vrishabh to step aside for a private conversation, his eyes betraying a sense of urgency and concern. Ignoring the pleasant banter around them, Vrishabh reluctantly followed Vidur inside the haveli.

Once secluded from prying eyes, Vrishabh's expression morphed into one of simmering anger, his voice laced with frustration as he berated Vidur for disrupting this crucial moment. Vidur, trembling slightly under the weight of Vrishabh's wrath, quickly divulged the distressing news.

"Jayesh Mishra has begun exploiting the demise of a bisti, implicating Priyom and rallying people against you," Vidur urgently conveyed.

"He has managed to mobilize a considerable gathering at the village's main square, with a plan to block the minister's designated route back to the city," he continued, his voice tinged with desperation.

"Jijaji, we must act swiftly to prevent him from capitalizing on this situation," Vidur implored, his eyes searching Vrishabh's face for a glimmer of reassurance.

With a mixture of frustration and calculation, Vrishabh responded, his voice stern yet laced with an underlying sense of urgency. "We cannot afford any unnecessary drama. Settle the matter discreetly by providing compensation to the grieving family. However, our immediate priority is to shield the minister from this brewing chaos."

Determined to maintain an air of normalcy, Vrishabh returned to the lawn, wearing a facade of serious concern that belied the turmoil within. He skillfully interjected jokes and laughter into the conversation, artfully diverting attention from the brewing storm that threatened to shatter his political ambitions.

"I must bid you farewell," the minister announced, sensing the time to take his leave.

Vrishabh, donning his best poker face, swiftly intervened. "Ah, Minister, I regret to inform you that the main road of the village has been obstructed by a massive fallen tree. It would be prudent for us to take an alternative route," he fabricated with a sense of urgency.