❁ Chapter 18 | harry

Start from the beginning

I walk into the kitchen and she looks up at me, giving me a short smile before looking back down.

"Already putting you to work huh." She says. "Glad I'm not the only one."

Rosa glares at her and speaks up "Tu cállate y sígale" (You shut up and keep going) .

I let out a cackle looking over at Nina  "Yeah Nina, sígale." (Keep going) I tease, watching her roll her eyes playfully. I don't fail to notice the slight blush on her face making me smile.

I'm glad I still have that effect on her.

I follow Rosa, who leads me to a countertop full of baked cupcakes, excitedly.

Nina always spoke to me about how her mom favored me possibly more than her own children, which honestly made me feel a little bit honored.

It made me feel welcome.

On the contrary, Nina's father wasn't too welcoming.

I'll admit, I was a little afraid of him at first. He was a bit intimidating and I realize it had to do a lot with the protection he had over his daughter which was understandable. I had to gain his trust and I would probably be the same way with Lenny.

Overtime, I kind of grew on him though. We spoke about football (had to go tons of research to make a good impression) and shared interests. Soon enough, we got to know each other and he became more accepting.

Even after the breakup, he was never upset with me which made me question what Nina had explained to her family when she told them we'd broken up. My best guess is that she told everyone it was mutual just so people wouldn't talk.

Words spread fast in the Garcia family.

You tell one of Nina's uncles about a secret trip you're planning together, everyone knows about it the very next day and it turns into an extended family trip. That's the way it usually goes.

It was the chisme she was trying to avoid. (Gossip)

"Quiero que me pongas la dulce en cada pastelito." (I want you to put the icing on each cupcake) Rosa explains to me pointing from the icing in a bowl to the pink cupcakes on the countertop. "Pero que te queden perfectos." (But make them look perfect.)

I watch as she quickly grabs the icing tube, swirling around a single cupcake to demonstrate for me. Through this process, I turn my head to take a sneaky glance over at Nina, who's back is turned away from us before I feel Rosa nudge me.

"Estas poniendo atención o nomas estas babeando por la tonta allá." (Are you paying attention or are you just drooling over the dummy over there?) She asks making me shake my head.

"Estoy mirando, Rosa." (I'm looking, Rosa) I reply a little embarrassed.

"Amá, please." Nina warns with a laugh.

"Que??" (What??) She asks when suddenly the doorbell rings, making Rosa gasp dramatically. "Ay no, se me olvido que iba llegar el DJ a las tres!" (Oh no, I forgot the DJ was coming at three!)

"She got a DJ?" I laugh. "She's 5"

"That's my ma." Niña shrugs with a sigh. She drops the icing tube and walks away, leaving Nina and I alone in the kitchen. We're both quiet for a moment before I decide to say something.

"So I'm dad now." I say breaking the silence between us.

Nina sets the bowl aside before spinning over to face me with one leg crossed and elbows leaning back on the empty countertop.