The Little Bird

There was something that could get his mind off things, and one of them was go-karting

There was something that could get his mind off things, and one of them was go-karting. When he was driving, that was all he could focus on. The speed, the turns, and when he should hit the breaks. He wiped the screen of his helmet with his sleeve and shoved it over his head.

Skyler... why?

It was a question that plagued him. He was certain it also plagued Jason. Jason had addressed briefly what was to become of Skyler, in a pained way.

AWOL. Traitor. On the blacklist.

There was no more contact to be made with her until the officials like Ms. Kate have formally investigated Skyler's identity. But there was no need. It was set in stone, the glare in her eyes was obvious; sharp and... she had changed.

He wanted answers and clearly, Jason wasn't going to talk about Skyler again until someone asked. Jayden's pestering would get nowhere; he was the throwing-tantrum type and as usual, Jason would comfort Jayden with that slick tongue of his, as he had already done.

The more Jason did that, the more he knew... Jason was still coming into terms with Skyler's betrayal, and Jason didn't want anyone to know his reluctance.

He walked out into the light, spotting the go-kart that was painted in shades of purple and gold. Before he hopped in, he caught eye of the upper glass windows. They belonged to the café, that served amazing waffles, he had to admit, but he wasn't interested in waffles.

He saw Eira, looking a bit struck from something. His green gaze shifted to the boy next to her.

Oh boy.

He gave a sigh. Is this what it looks like? Or am I over-reading things?

Eira had taken a gulp of her coffee, her surprised face slowly relaxing into default. She was calm, but it was clear that Davis was nervous and they both had that look on them.

Really?

He saw Davis sag his shoulders, and he flicked his glance away and hopped into his go-kart. He bent his long legs, and leaning to the side, he grabbed his phone from his pocket.

He took off his helmet, his brown hair disheveled but he was unfazed. He dialled the familiar number and placed his phone on his ear.

"Nick!" Jason's voice. "What's up?"

"You know, if you don't make a move now, she's going to get taken."

"What are you on about?"

"You know what I'm talking about."

There was a pause. "Who's the guy?"

"Davis."

On the other end of the line, Nick heard a choke and a rasped curse. "R-right..."

"Can't blame him. It's not like Eira's anyone's property."

Another hesitation. "You're right and if you don't mind... you're getting quite nosy."

"Not at all." He said, despite knowing he was prying into things a bit too often lately. "I just don't want you to lose her when it's clear you want her."

Jason released a long breath, sighing, "she's not mine... even if she gets with Davis, she's not his. She's Eira and only Eira. She'll never let anyone take that away."

Nick pursed his lips. "Let's hope Davis knows that."

"Thanks for telling me anyways. If she decides Davis is the guy then... it's probably what she wants."

The call ended and Nick lowered his phone. He leaned his head on the head rest, sighing.

If I told Skyler how I felt... would everything have been different?

***

A/N

Thought Jayden was the little bird but- 🤷‍♀️

Till next time,

L