Follow Orders

Jason was quiet when they left Jess' house

Jason was quiet when they left Jess' house. He watched Eira carefully. She was silent and unsmiling, one hand clutching the elbow of the other.

Davis trailed after them, hands in his pockets. He cleared his throat, "Hey Eira, are you alright?"

Eira turned to glance over her shoulder, a reassuring smile. "Yeah, fine now. Thanks to you guys."

Despite her best attempts, Jason could still see that her glances were avoidant; a quick flicker before she revealed too much.

"It seemed like it was a good idea to let you come with us." Jason tried quietly, walking closer to her.

To his surprise, Eira chuckled. "Yeah, I guess, but Jess would be home alone. I'd rather be given a chance to fight."

Jason downcast his gaze."Eira, I..."

"Hey, I'll send Eira back home."

Jason's shoulder gave an uncontrollable twitch. He shoved his hands in his back pockets, hiding the rising feeling in his chest.

Yeah sure, Davis. Dump me here while you and Eira drive off...

"No."

He and Davis halted in their steps, feet kicking the gravel.

Jason's mouth was agape, and when he comprehended the story inside those blue eyes, he shook his head.

"Eira-"

"Listen, Jason."

And he was. She used his name, dropped the tone and set those eyes on him. How could he not?

"I promised I'll get Jess back."

"We will get Jess back, not you." Jason quickly said.

"And Stanley," Davis added.

"Yes, and him, of course."

"I stayed where I was but danger comes and finds me." Eira tightened her grip around her arm. "I've had enough. I'm not going to be an outsider anymore."

Jason frowned. "You're never an outsider, Eira."

"You don't understand," Eira was staring through him. He had no idea what she was saying, but there was a few things he knew. Her eyes showed determination. Her heart was set.

Jason could no longer hold her back. 

"She has a point, you know?" Davis helpfully commented. "I don't know why you're stopping her, but it sounds like she's adamant. You can't stop a girl like Eira."

Jason watched Eira give him a glance and a wee smile.

Is there something I'm missing here?

Jason's gaze flickered with uncertainty. He softened his look, a knitted brow, pleading, "Eira, you know why."

"I know," Eira inched closer to him, "remember about the whole... making my own choices?"