Twists and Turns

The stairs twisted and turned, towering above her

The stairs twisted and turned, towering above her. Eira took two steps as one, panting her way through. Occasionally, she had to stop to take a breather.

Breathlessly, she muttered into her earpiece, "anyone hear me? You are to leave the premises immediately! The missions called off!"

Static. Sometimes a weak mutter.

Eira let out a small curse. She kept running. She swiped the card and made her exit.

Level two.

"Hey!"

Eira turned her head and let out a panicked shriek. Lightening struck past her elbows, sharp and quick. A flash of light before she could comprehend anything.

She fell to the floor, shooting her icicles out of panic.

The lightening wielder was distracted and Eira took the chance. She got up, dodged into the shadows. Frost hungrily clasped onto the man, freezing him into stone.

"Stay," Eira said. As she left the man, she realised she had the capabilities to tear him apart. Shatter the ice and he was a goner; but she didn't have the courage yet. The courage to kill someone. She never placed that thought in mind when she joined the Ryders. Only now, she realised she had not thought through everything.

The hallway was dark. She could hear her breath, feel her heart punching against her chest. Her shoulders were tense and her neck moved from side to side quickly, her eyes always searching for the next target.

Her nose gave a sniff. It smelt of ash and smoke, there was a misty look in the atmosphere.

Eira slowed her steps. There were a pile of bodies: men and women in black... Eira turned her glance the other way.

She crossed her legs over them carefully, looking around to watch her steps. As she shuffled forwards, her feet kicked into something solid; but not solid enough to be an inanimate object.

Eira's breath hitched in her throat when there was a groan.

Instinctively, she raised her hands. A blue glow in her palm acted as a beacon as she shone it down.

One of the people in the pile was moving.

Alright, time to knock them-

She froze and kneeled to the floor. She brought the light close to their face.

"Davis!"

He let out a cough, struggling to open his eyes.

Eira shielded the light away, but even in those brief moments, she could see his face, darkened with uneven spots of soot. As the light travelled down his body, she saw his ripped clothes and a patch of red, swollen skin at the side of his body.

"Eira? I-is that you? What are you doing here?"

"Everyone needs to get out of here! It's a trap!" She tore her eyes away from the wound, willing herself to stay calm. "I'm going to get you out first. You're going to be okay."