A Chance

When Eira got home, she found her parents snuggled close to each other on the couch, watching TV

When Eira got home, she found her parents snuggled close to each other on the couch, watching TV. She greeted them happily, a smile on her face.

"How's the assignment?"

"Oh good. I talked it over with my teacher." Her lie rolled from her tongue; not a blush on her cheeks.

She shoved the box of chocolates into one of their snack cabinets.

"Do you want to eat anything?" Mr. Riley offered but Eira shook her head.

"Bit tired. Gonna head upstairs and take a shower."

The parents stared at her disappearing figure, concern worn on their expressions.

"Well, something's wrong." Mr. Riley started.

"Let's give her some space." Mrs. Riley's blue eyes flicked to her husband. "We can ask about it later."

Upstairs, Eira closed the door gently. She glimpsed at the pile of books and paper on the floor.

Whatever Jason said, it was too sudden for Eira to comprehend. She threw her bag onto her chair and went to sprawl herself on the bed, a chill running unpleasantly down her chest to her stomach. She curled her body, hugged her legs tightly.

It's pointless trying. Your powers have been dormant for too long.

You can't get anywhere with that power of yours.

She shut her eyes.

You'll only cause sacrifices.

I lied... I shouldn't have given you false hope.

"Nana... I'll never be like you."

Eira buried her face into the crook of her elbow; the bed smelt comforting but it didn't help her much.

"Kallos Academy sounded so cool, but who am I kidding... I'll never go there." Her vision scanned the mess on the floor.

Jason's right. I'll only cause more trouble. I should just stick with what I'm good at.

Her insecurities gnawed at her.

She stayed still, eyes closed and dozing when her phone woke her.

Skyler: Hey girl. I dragged you into our group chat! I hope you are feeling better now!

You have been added to this group chat.

Jayden: Hey Eira! Hope you feel good now!

Nick: Hope you are well.

Skyler: There's a comp in two weeks! All teams get to verse each other. You coming?

Jayden: You should come! Competitive, but tons fun.

Skyler: Good experience, no doubt.