Chapter Eight

Camilla's parents rumbled back and forth the entire trek back home. Though her dad didn't have the same strong personality like her mom, after nearly an hour of trying to reason with her to calm the situation down, his temper started rising too.

Even after they pulled up their driveway and enter their home, the feuding continued. Camilla didn't bother excusing herself to her room, for her parents were too engrossed in their argument to notice. Especially considering the stress on her mind, she knew her parents would understand regardless.

The moment she arrived in her room and swung the door shut, Camilla swiped out her phone and dialed the number 470-968-3323. As she waited for an answer, she felt frustration boiling inside her chest. She knew that all of her plans were set to a completely different course since the original was foiled, but she couldn't accept that all of her work was tarnished.

After just a single ring, a masculine voice picked up on the other line, mumbling, "Why are you calling so late? Is everything alright, babe?"

At his words, Camilla's pent-up stress nearly spilled out, and she had to restrain herself from punching a wall or screaming in outrage.

She took a deep breath through clenched teeth. "No. Nothing's alright," she grumbled in response, balling her free hand into a fist at her side.

"What happened?" the voice on the other end asked without hesitation, his voice laced with concern.

Camilla released a low growl, pinching the bridge of her nose before snapping as quietly as she could manage, "Everything happened. Everything that could've gone wrong just happened today, Zach."

Zach was silent for a moment. "But...what happened specifically?"

"Amy Gardener and Tiffany Stewart. They both saw me, and they ratted me out to the police!"

"Shit," Zach cursed. "What the hell did they see exactly?"

"They saw me washing the blood off the gloves and the knife. They saw the body laying on the floor too."

"And what did they do?"

"Tiffany was mortified. She hasn't ratted me out to the police yet, apparently, but I'm worried she'll give me away soon enough. She's timid and was easy to terrify. Amy wasn't. She was practically taunting me as if I hadn't just"-Camilla paused, hearing her parents' distinctive bickering downstairs-"killed Amanda. She's the reason the police suspect me."

"Ok, so you at least got the job done. Is the evidence where we planned?"

"Of course I did. I threatened Tiffany that I would kill Amy if she said anything or tried to run away. I strangled Amy until she passed out just to keep her out of my way for a little while. It worked for a few minutes, but after that, she was in my hair."

She sighed as the memories of her demise rushed back to her. It felt like days had passed since then, though it had only been about 2 hours.

"I ordered Tiffany to keep Amy under control, otherwise I'd kill her, and she gave me just enough time to get rid of any evidence and collect the body. After that, I left without much of an issue and put the body in the locker."

"They didn't follow you?" Zach inquired, seeming surprised.

"No, I'm almost certain that they contacted the police as I fled. They may have watched me walk out, but they couldn't possibly have watched me go into the agriculture building."

"So, the plan is the same, then? I just have to be more cautious?"

That's where Camilla was stuck. She had no idea what the police were doing at the school. Surely they had already investigated or were at least doing it as they spoke. However, depending on how late they searched, the plan may have been due for some updating.