Chapter Thirteen

"'We do not know the full story from either side yet, so we will not pick a side with no evidence as many people are already doing after the supposed "campaign" yesterday afternoon. Since we will not know the full story without hearing it from the witness herself, Amy Gardener, and the supposed criminal, Camilla Green, the Newspaper Committee has requested to have a one-on-one interview with both Amy and Camilla. Please see Leah Miller of the Newspaper Committee to request an interview or provide information, or email her--blah blah blah, more boring crap."

Michelle slammed the newspaper down on her desk, clearly frustrated after reading it aloud. "This is so stupid!" she proclaimed. "They were supposed to be on our side. After all, we requested their services in the first place, and we're the reason they're going to have a lot more business. There wouldn't be much to write in the newspaper without a juicy story, but now that they have one, they aren't even taking our side!"

Camilla listened to her best friend ramble on as she plopped herself in the seat across from her. Of course, she was grateful to Michelle for supporting her unconditionally--that is, as long as she was in the dark about Camilla's crimes--but she knew that the committee had a point; they couldn't just take a side without evidence. Amy's supporters had done that at the start, but with Camilla's popularity, she was able to use those same tactics against her and shift her peers' support in her favor. It was unfortunate that the committee was indirectly exposing her plan, but Camilla was unconcerned by their jabs.

"I should do the interview," Camilla mentioned, interrupting Michelle's ranting.

"Um, excuse me?" Michelle replied. "No, you shouldn't. And you won't. They're clearly against us."

"I don't know, maybe you're reading into it too much. After all, they didn't outwardly express their opposition."

Michelle groaned, saying, "Stop using such big words, it's only 7 am."

Camilla giggled while Meagan approached them. The moment she joined them, Michelle blabbered on about the committee "scheming against them," but Camilla merely shook her head. After all, she was sure nobody believed Amy that wasn't already close to.

Suddenly, she felt an arm lean against her shoulder, and she looked up to meet Jared's gaze. "What are we talking about?" Jared asked.

"Don't--" Camilla started, but it was too late; she was interrupted by Michelle restarting her speech to Jared.

"Hm, it does sound like they're against us," Jared noted.

"Look," Camilla began, "I don't know the committee very well, but I know of the people that run it, and I don't think they have anything against me. If they did, don't you think they'd be directly supporting Amy? And why would they request an interview from me if they already know their side? I just think they want to hear both sides, which I think is reasonable."

Michelle hesitated but, of course, didn't cease to retort, "Well, I don't understand how they don't know you're innocent after yesterday."

"Because all you guys were doing was chanting, not giving them any official evidence."

Then, the table went silent. Michelle's eyes darted to Meagan's, and they shared a look that Camilla couldn't quite pin down.

Jared turned to her and mumbled sincerely, "Sorry, we didn't know you didn't want us to do the campaign."

"What? No, I really appreciated the campaign. That's not what I'm saying, I just understand why the committee doesn't believe us solely based on popular belief. It would be hypocritical for me to think that anyway since Amy got people on her side without any evidence too."