Chapter Twenty-Four

Occupying the gym locker rooms, Zoey and Leah were at high risk of being spotted. Ava knew that when she had suggested they stay there to fulfill the plan. But regardless, there they stood, Camilla's stolen phone in hand.

Only a few minutes ago, she lied her way out of cheerleading practice to head back to the locker rooms, where she knew Camilla had left her phone. It was one of the rules she imposed as captain of the team; everyone had to leave their phones in their locker rooms.

Being an experienced stalker had its perks. After observing Camilla for months, Ava knew the password to both her locker and her phone.

Ava wasn't the scheming type when committing crimes, but Zoey made it impossible for her to act on impulse. She even had Ava rehearse.

"You know what to do," Zoey said, eyes locked on Ava. "Make the call. Use her voice. Stick to the general script. Just don't break character. Do you understand?"

Ava nodded, blinking away from the intense stare. If she wasn't unsure about helping them before, she certainly was now.

She dialed the same number Zoey had her memorize-not before Zoey triple checked that it was correct. She made Ava keep it on speaker, full volume, while she and Leah recorded everything. The phone barely rang once before a deep voice answered.

"Hello?"

"Babe, I don't have a lot of time right now, so you need to listen to me," Ava said.

"Of course," he replied. She frowned.

"I need you to meet me at The Lantern in the Gardens park at 2 P.M. on Saturday. Write it down. Don't forget. I need you to be prepared for anything. Do you understand?"

"Lantern in the Gardens park, 2 P.M., Saturday. Bring a gun, camouflage, duct tape, handcuffs, body bags, and whatever the hell else. I'll make a list, don't worry."

"Good. Be sure you look for me there."

"Gladly."

Ava winced. How could Camilla be so dismissive to someone this devoted to her?

"Don't call or text at all before Saturday," Ava said. "This is confidential."

"I won't, I promise. I love you."

Ava sighed. "I can't say that here, but I can say it to you on Saturday if everything goes right. Make sure it does."

"I will, baby. I love you so much."

"Bye."

"Can't wait to see you then."

"Goodbye," she repeated as she hung up.

Zoey waited a few seconds before saying, "Good. Alright, we need to go."

"Hang on," Ava replied. "You still haven't explained to me what you have planned."

"Leah and I are the only ones that need to know the details. All you have to do is show up at 1 o'clock on Saturday, stay in my sight, and stay hidden."

"Stay hidden? What do you expect to happen?"

Zoey and Leah shared a glance. "We don't know exactly what's going to happen," Leah responded. "We're just trying to be prepared for anything."

"What's your goal by inviting this potentially-almost definitely-dangerous guy to a park?"

"All we're hoping for," Leah said, "is more information about him."

Ava shook her head. "What? Are you going to interrogate him?"

"Of course not. That's way too dangerous."