Chapter Forty-Two: Failure Isn't An Option

Chase stared himself in the mirror; the night light plugged in next to the sink enough to illuminate most of his face. He could see himself, but just underneath the skin, a monster was lurking. For a split second, there was a slither of a violent fire in his eyes before it soaked back into his natural light gray. Dark was reminding him that he was still there, disrupting the small moment of peace he had.

He knew that there was no way he could free his family without hurting someone in the process. It was impossible with the body stealer up all the time. The more he was awake, the more exhausted Chase felt. It was as if Dark was leeching off his energy, keeping him weak so Dark could stay in control for as long as he needed.

Optimistically, he had spent just enough time in his head to figure out what to do. Even if it was a long shot, he could try. Chase hurriedly opened the mirror cabinet, scanning over each of the prescription medications. Most of them were out of date, but some of them looked relatively new, including a bottle of Vicodin peeking out from behind the Crest toothpaste.

He knew that the drug was his crutch, immediately grabbing for it and popping open the lid. Six tablets were still inside. His shoulder muscles relaxed, and he shuffled the pills into his palm just as the bathroom door opened. He stood there, looking like a deer in headlights. "Marvin?"

Marvin could tell who was in control at the moment, an electric shock running through him. He didn't know what to say, and even if he did, his throat was filled with cotton, and he wasn't able to speak.

Chase promptly clutched the plunger next to the toilet, before swinging it upward at his frozen brother with all his might, keeping the prescription pills safely folded inside his free hand.

The magician sprung into action, attempting to block the rubber end, but he was too late. He stumbled backward, the rubber making contact with his jaw. A dull ache spread through his face as he leaned against the wall, gasping for air.

"Sorry!" Chase said, ducking out of Marvin's way and into the hallway. He could feel Dark crawling back for control, so he quickly swallowed the pill. He made a face, shivering. "Nasty..."

Marvin growled, glancing at the plunger in Chase's hand before looking back at him. "You idiot. You're going to die; you know that? Pity, it wasn't by my hand."

"You don't mean that." Chase said, turning around the face him.

"How do you know?"

"You're my brother. I've said I was sorry millions of times! I don't know what else I can do. But what you've done is inexcusable." He said, motioning around the mansion. "You want to take my family! You sided with him!"

"I have no choice!"

"You can still leave while you can!"

"You don't have any right to tell me what I can and can't do!"

"I have every right!" Chase said, finally dropping the plunger. "And now I have time to do what's right by my kids, and by my wife." His voice was barely above a whisper now. "We used to be so close. You have everything, bro. What do I have? A half-empty bottle of liquor and a single photo from the album you took from me. Consider yourself lucky."

Marvin sighed, staring down at the floor. "I still have it. Your album. And all your things. I never sold anything. I want to help you, Chase. But there's so much anger inside of me. I'm finding it hard to forgive you. All I want to do is..." He cut himself off, his eyes narrowed. "I lost my car, my apartment. And you."

"What?"

"I lost you. I had no one. You were the only brother I remained in contact with continuously. I was alone after you. I had no one. You took my family, and now I'm taking yours even if I don't want to." Marvin said, quickly grabbing the discarded plunger.

Chase's vision doubled, and he finally slipped, allowing Dark to take back control.

Dark staggered, sweat dampening his white dress shirt. "What... What is this? What the hell did he take? I can barely feel his heartbeat." He loosened his tie, his eyes already dilated enough to obscure the color to the irises. "I can't fucking breathe..."

Marvin picked up the Vicodin bottle, his breath hitching. "How many of these did you have left?"

Dark snatched the medication, his insides burning at the name on the label. "Son of a bitch!" He yelled, tossing the bottle down the staircase. "I'm tired of waiting! They're all going to die!"

"Who?"

"Them! All of them!" Dark pointed at Marvin, fury in his eyes. "All of you." He said, barreling into his study and pushing back the books on the shelf only to grab the pistol hidden behind the false wall.

"Wait! Whoa, whoa!" Marvin said, knowing he wasn't good enough with his magic to stop a bullet.

Dark pushed past him and down the stairs, pulling back the slide until the click. The chill on his lips and near the tips of his fingers were enough to drive him to the brink of insanity. Many things were happening around him, and he couldn't control them all. That's what he wanted. And if he could help it, everything would be put back where he wanted it, even if he had to kill everyone standing in his way.

"What are you going to do?!" Marvin shouted, racing after him.

"I'm going to absorb Anti, but first... I'm going to kill Stacy and her children. And I'll be damned if Chase doesn't watch while it happens." Dark said, continuing down the stairs to the basement. "I can't risk the Calvary arriving at my doorstep, but if they do, I'll be ready for them, your brothers. I won't fail again."