Chapter Twenty: I've Got Your Back

Chase knew that if he persisted in blocking out what Dark was doing to his wife and kids, he'd resume to dwell in the past and see the seed of distress and mistrust he'd watered in his brother instead of leaving it alone as he should've.

Maybe there was a reason for remembering, though—a reason for all the heartbreak he had to witness for a second time. Perhaps he could apologize when all of this was over. Chase huddled into one of the corners of his dark mind, taking a deep breath and releasing it, the tension leaving with it.

Let's do this.

Marvin flung his apartment door open, his mask securely in place as he walked in, looking around the room and running a hand through his short, lime green hair. Despite the object obscuring most of his face, Chase could tell that he was distraught. "How could you do that?"

"I'm sorry... I thought I could win."

"I suppose an apology makes everything better, doesn't it?" Marvin said, swiveling around to face his nervous look-alike, his eyes contracted and narrowed to slits. "You stole from me after I let you into my apartment, got my car impounded, and stole from some poor man at the casino! Thirty thousand dollars that they had to take from him for evidence against you."

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry... I just wanted to do something right for once! Grab a fancy lawyer like my wife has, get my kids back, or at the very least, visitation rights! I would've paid you back double what you had! And they can't prove I 'stole' anything because the man who reported the crime in the first place vanished!" Chase's mouth kept moving as he racked his brain for something else to say, his hands visibly shaking, and his heart pumping wildly.

The magician's anger melted away; it was as if he understood that yelling at his brother wouldn't do any good, like his walls just crumbled, leaving nothing but a shell. The worst part about it was the aftermath, the disappointment that replaced it. "I thought you said you had my back, man..."

Chase's breath hitched, dull pain in his chest. His heart felt as though it had shattered into a million pieces. He remembered that conversation. Marvin had looked so happy when he'd moved in. Maybe he was just as lonely, only as wanting for support as he was. "Marv, I can't tell you how sorry I am... I can replace the money, I swear. I do have your back, I always have."

"With what? It was the only money I had. I'm going to lose my apartment, trying to come up with what I've lost. You don't have my back. You never have. You lied to me... Right to my face..."

"I can help--"

"You've helped enough. I want you to leave, Chase. Now."

"W-What?"

Marvin seemed to snap, grabbing him tightly by the throat, his eyes glowing a voodoo purple, a color Chase had never seen on his brother before. "Get out of my apartment, dammit! I don't ever want to see you here again, you understand?!"

Chase could feel his grip loosen, and he pulled away, going for his things, but the magician stopped him.

"Leave it."

"But those are my--"

"And so was my money."

Chase bit his lip harshly, trying desperately not to start sobbing right there and then, knowing all his precious items were in there, including the pictures he had of his kids, and the family album. The only other picture he had of them was the time they went camping, folded in his wallet. "O-Okay." He slowly turned, leaving the apartment and softly closing the door behind him.

"I'm sorry, brother..."

-

Jackie had gotten off the phone with Sean's captors less than an hour ago, and he had immediately called Jameson to come over. They sat opposite each other, in the living room of his home, debating on what to do. "I just don't understand. Why wouldn't Anti tell us something like this? We could've helped!"

Jameson shook his head. "We haven't been the best of brothers. After all, each of us went our separate way around the beginning of 2018, remember? It's been almost three years since we've caught up on each other's lives--"

"And Anti stayed with Sean, I know. But we have to do something. They want what? 40,000 dollars? You know we can't come up with money like that. It's hopeless."

"Now hold on a minute. You're a hero, remember? What happened to justice and courage and all that?"

Jackie shifted, looking at his gloved hands, his eyes tracing the black leather material. "I'm just someone who wants to do right by the citizens here."

"And isn't Sean a citizen? A brother."

"Yes..."

"Alright, then." Jameson nodded to himself, standing from the armchair with much difficulty, letting out a pained breath, his arms shaking with the energy he used to get up. "We need to figure out a way to earn that mazuma, then. No matter what it takes."

"And how do you suppose we do that? It would take years to make that kind of dough..."

"Not if we stole it."

"From where? And who? I don't like this plan, JJ..."

"I know you don't. Because you're a decent person. Me, on the other hand..."

Jackie hushed him, standing and walking over to him, placing a hand on his shoulder as a smile stretched across his face. "You're perfect. I don't want you going out thinking you're immoral. You've had my back whenever I needed it, and I trust you with everything I've got. Now let's find a way to save Sean, huh?"

Jameson's face flushed, and he grinned, happy to hear such a genuine compliment from someone he loved. "If you say so, brother. Whatever the plan is, I'm with you until the end--" His eyes dilated, and he quickly pulled out his handkerchief, coughing violently into it, the material already soaked with old blood.

The hero backed up, his heart skipping a beat. It killed him to think this way, but he knew the end might come sooner than he initially realized.