Chapter Two: Liquid Death

The streetlights flickered, a soft but soothing breeze brushing Anti's exposed forearms, the sleeves of his hoodie pulled up to the elbow. Because they'd closed down the local nightclub, he didn't have an escape away from what was real. And after his brothers tried to help him with his problem, he had to be careful what he brought into the house.

Sean liked to search his room every week, which is why he preferred going out for the things he needed and keeping them on his person. Anti casually looked around his hands in his coat pockets, crossing the busy intersection. He was determined to fix his problem by himself, without his brothers to help.

After the controversy with the modified and unmodified, the streets weren't a very safe place, especially since the police were lazy before the troubles arrived. People had to make money from somewhere, even if it was selling illegal items right under their justice systems noses.

Anti made his way over to one of the many stands lining the sidewalks, knocking on the sign hanging below the canopy. "Nick."

Sure enough, a man in black pants and a navy blue long-sleeved shirt peeked out from under the counter. "You say my name as if I'm always available when you need me."

Anti ignored his sarcasm. "Do you have the things I asked you to get for me?"

"Don't I always?" Nick stood, resting his arms on the countertop, eyeing Anti's face mostly masked by his hood. "Thought you said you quit this stuff."

"I have, okay?" Anti rubbed the back of his neck almost violently, his eyes pinpoint. "Just give it to me."

"If you insist, man." Nick tossed a black bag at the demon, the contents were unknown to the rest of the world, although they knew what was inside and how dangerous it was.

Anti let out a relieved sigh, stuffing it into his front pocket.

"Careful with that shit. Last time it's free. Understand?"

"Yeah, I got it. Keep this between us, okay? I don't need Henrik to give me another evaluation."

"Shouldn't expect anything less."

Anti nodded, giving him one last look before heading off in the opposite direction, his heart racing. It was the first time he'd bought Heroin in two weeks. He'd kept himself away from it for so long; he forgot the rush he'd get from doing something he shouldn't.

For now, all he could hope for was a quick and effortless escape from the drug that held him captive for so long. A test, he would say. How long he could stand to have it in his possession without shooting up again.

Anti stopped, squinting at the glaring light in his peripherals, turning to face the disturbance that interfered with his constant flow of thought. "What the hell is that..?"

He stepped into the alleyway, the rosy glow tinting the enclosed walls. How could no one else see this? Was he dreaming? If this were a good city, the police would have this place swarming with officers. The only other nightclub in town had been shut down due to... Reasons.

Anti unhurriedly wandered further into the ordinarily dark and eerie passage, the way he'd gone down numerous times before. The only problem was, there was never a door in the middle of the wall before today. Maybe there was. He never paid that much attention to ominous doors or random lights. He stepped up to it, grabbing the door handle and twisting.

The door seemed to swing open by itself, not needing his permission to open or close after he did his part. Anti's initial reaction was to turn around and go back home, but he figured that was the Sean in him, as he was made up of his creator, even if it was just a small amount.

"A few minutes wouldn't hurt." He shrugged, walking inside with confidence, hearing a small click behind him.

He wasn't worried anymore, as he knew what this place was, and it seemed to be even better than the nightclub he'd been to before. Hopefully, there wasn't segregation between Modified and UnModified. Sometimes it made him laugh because when one of them gets killed, everyone takes notice. Everyone cares and fears for their safety.

The demon took off his hood and started to fuss with his hair; his eyes focused on the sign on the wall.

A pretty generic name, he thought

A pretty generic name, he thought. "Neon Club. They just pointed out the entire aesthetic."

A man walked by, a smirk on his tan face. "Don't knock it until you try it."

Anti watched him disappear around the corner, following after him like a lost puppy, not entirely sure about where to go from his current position. Just as he turned down the hall, the whole place opened up into a vast rear area. And sure enough, everything was neon.

Neon drinks, neon bar lights, neon trimming on spiral staircases, neon dance floor, it almost gave him a headache, but the darker neons evened it out for him. It was almost if they catered to every wish he'd ever had and mixed them.

The entire place was packed with people, and he could feel a grin stretching out on his face, knowing this would be his forever home away from home. Hopefully, the police wouldn't find this place and rip it apart from him, too, not that they were competent enough to.

He walked over to the bar, knocking on the cherry polished wood. "Whatever's top-shelf. It doesn't matter how strong."

"You got it." The bartender grabbed a bottle of the red stuff from the top, pouring him two shots and sliding them over to Anti. "Careful with that. It's addictive. First drink's free."

The demon chuckled. "Does that mean I'll have to pay for this second shot?" He asked, not expecting an answer. "Trust me. I know what that feels like. I'll be fine." He downed both shots, willing himself not to make a face at the unfamiliar taste. After a few seconds, he turned to face the crowds, surveying mainly the floor, his eyes faintly glowing. "Let's get this party started then."