Chapter Thirty-Nine: Fuel to The Flame

Marvin stepped into the ominous mansion, immediately noticing the gut-wrenching stench wafting from the open kitchen where dried pools of water and blood were glossy on the floor. He held the red and velvety part of his cape to his crinkled nose, bile rising in his throat. "What in heaven's name is that ungodly scent? You're the last person I would assume to be so... Untidy. It smells like burning flesh and incense."

"Close. Burning flesh and scented candles." Dark said, giving him a sly look before walking past him and over to the basement door, taking out the key to the padlock. "Your brother wasn't exactly cooperative when he last came."

"Did he go?"

"Oh, no. Of course not."

"So, he's still here?"

"Why else would I ask you to accompany me if I didn't have him?"

Marvin thought for a moment, trying to ignore the anxiety slithering up from the depths of his stomach like a slick snake searching for its next meal. In this case, he was the feast. And he was sure Dark could sense how he felt from the way these eyes gleamed with uncertainty.  "Any other surprises?" He asked, keeping the cape's fabric firmly to his nose, unwilling to give up his comfort from the smell and the intense staring. For some reason, the only thought in his head wasn't in words—just one number.

Four.

"Why don't you follow me and find out, hm? You used to love surprises, didn't you? Before I..." Dark trailed off, a smirk playing at his lips. "Well, you know."

Marvin bit his lip harshly, holding back a gasp at the stone that dropped in his lower body, a fresh wave of distress overcoming him. "Stay out of it. I'm only here for one reason. And it isn't to socialize or become friends with the likes of you. You're just a means to an end."

"Oh? I see." Dark didn't lose his smile, opening the padlock and letting the door swing open. "Ladies first."

Marvin growled. "Age before beauty."

"Fair enough."  Dark walked down the stairs, his steps appearing to hesitate every time the magician would slow down, but they eventually made it to the bottom where the entire basement reeked of death and decay.

"Jesus, it's worse down here..." Marvin's vision went fuzzy for a moment as the odor struck him, but he regained himself quickly, taking a look around the room. When his eyes landed on Stacy and the kids, he had to stop himself from rushing over, his legs jerking just barely. "I... Why do you have them? Why are they here? What purpose do they serve?" His voice was accusing, his gaze glued to them.

"Your new family, of course! I promised you a life. I never said how I would get it." Dark said, his eyes faintly glowing.

Marvin winced as he bit his tongue, afraid to look at what had already announced its presence in the room, metal screeching against the concrete floor. He was suddenly aware of just how much he'd screwed up. "I... This... I don't understand--"

"What's there not to understand? You've got a family; now you help me. Your problems are solved, and so are mine." Dark said, glancing at Anti. "I think I'll leave you to chat with your new family. If you free them or try to escape, I'll kill you. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes."

"Good."

Marvin watched Dark ascended the stairs before turning his attention back to the small family of three. "Stacy...? Trey? Alicia?" He said, carefully walking over to them and squatting down to their level. "Please... I never meant for this to happen. Why does he want you?"

Stacy kept her children away from him and sat up with a glare. "Why should I tell you that? We'll never be your family. My kids will never call you their father. You'll never be anything more than a retired magician with no one! You're going to let your brother... My ex-husband be killed!" She said, spitting in his face.

Marvin flinched, pulling out a handkerchief and wiping his face furiously before putting it away again. His threatening eyes were glowing, unable to keep himself from acting on impulse. "You stupid bitch. You'll pay for that. I was going to help you. But you're just like him. Ungrateful. Too fucking selfish and shallow for your own good. For their good." He said, nodding at the children as the glow in his eyes waned. "You'll all pay for this, but you know..." He smiled cruelly. "I'll make sure T and Ali are taken care of. They'll have a great home."

"Don't you touch them! You're a monster! Just like that demon in the other room. You'll never amount to anything--"

Marvin struck her across the face, palm outstretched, agitated, and red. He grabbed her chin, nothing but resentment in his blue orbs. "You don't get to talk to me like that. I won't let another member of the Brody family step all over me."

Stacy let out a cry of pain, her cheek warm and stinging, her hand tightly clasped around Trey's arm to keep him from retaliating. "What are you talking about...?"

"Oh? You don't know? He's bound and determined to keep this a secret, isn't he?" Marvin scoffed, letting her go and standing up. He knew that as soon as the flames died off, he would regret what he did, turning to face his brother. The state Anti was in shocked him to the core, and he had to bite back another gasp, trying desperately to remind himself that this was for the greater good. For his family.

Marvin's angry expression never changed as he strode across the room, lifting Anti's head by his chin. He'd never seen such a broken look in anyone's eyes before except Chase, and even this was different. Anti had always been determined and fiery; seeing him broken and torn down only added to the uncertainty Marvin felt. "Even you don't deserve this, brother." He whispered, slowly letting his face go.