An Uncertain Future

"Violet! Garroth!"

I open my eyes and see the world around me as if in new eyes. Everything is sharper, and I can smell my dad's cologne from here. I can hear every footfall in the silent room, every beep on mine and Garroth's heart monitors.

My stomach drops.

I looked at Aaron's eyes.

How could I be so stupid?

"Garroth, my boy! Speak to me!" Dad's voice pleads, while Mummy comes up next to me.

"Violet?" She whispers. "Vivi?"

"M-mummy..." I whisper, locking eyes with her. I never noticed that hers are a shade greener than Garroth's.

"Dad?" Garroth asks. I move my neck an inch and see Garroth with two odd bumps in his hair, and his beautiful aqua eyes open, staring at Dad.

I've never seen Dad look so worried.

"Please, doctor." Dad pleads. "Are they going to be all right?"

"They're in a stable condition as it stands." The doctor says. Just by smelling her, I can tell she's been around Daniel recently. Or she's related to him. She smells just like him. I never noticed Daniel smelled like peanut butter and rubber balls.

"What does that mean?" Mr. Lycan asks. I glance over at him. He looks so much like Aaron...

A sudden jolt of pain zips through the top of my head and I let out a squeak. The doctor adjusts what I assume is my pain medication, based on the sterile smell, and answers, "It means they aren't going to die. Not anytime soon, anyway."

Elation jumps in my chest. How could I have wished to die earlier?

"What?" Dad asks in confusion.

"I can't explain it." Daniel's mom (maybe) says. "They're not taking to the effects as a normal human would."

I smell the fear on Dad and Mr. Lycan. Why would they be scared after that?

"In any case, the IV in them will keep their pain levels low. Until then, I advise rest. And plenty of it. I'll be on standby until further notice." She says.

"You're leaving?" Mummy asks, her flowery perfume scent growing slightly dimmer as she stands and moves over to Dad and Mr. Lycan.

"I will be nearby." The doctor assures her. "At the moment, until Garroth or Violet shows any other reaction, there's not much I can do. We can only hope the transformation takes place instead of... death."

"How likely is the chance for transformation?" Mummy asks quietly.

"Very low." The doctor admits sadly. "We can only hope." She leaves the room and I suddenly smell Aphmau and Aaron coming in. Aaron smells like his dad. Exactly like his dad. Pancakes. But Aphmau smells like... like wet fur. Why wet fur? And purple dye, for some reason. And pumpkin-spice lattes.

And then I see the two purple-tipped ears on her head. "You---" I gasp out, but even that makes pain spasm down me again, so I cut off with a whimper.

"This is all my fault." Aaron says, guilt hanging heavily in his whispered words.

"You're darn right it is!" Dad yells angrily.

"N-no." Garroth whispers.

"Garroth?" Aaron asks hopefully, coming forward.

"It was my fault." Garroth says miserably.