Chapter 20

"Are you gentlemen ready to order?" Jennifer asked as she tapped her pen on her order pad.

"I'll have the country-fried steak with baked potato, sour cream, and corn on the cob; and Bobby will have three hotdogs and the tomato surprise."

"You will have the garden salad with grilled chicken breast," Jennifer correct him, her diamond engagement ring glittering in the light. "And don't you worry, Bobby," she added, patting him on the shoulder, "I have just the thing for you." 

"Was I really that transparent, Howard?" Robert blushed.

Howard snorted, "You couldn't have made it any more obvious if you had painted the words "Bank Robber" on their backs, Bobby."

Bobby bit his lip and sadness filled his eyes, "Are they going to be alright?"

"Well," Howard sighed, "they will be gone for a long time, but at least they didn't hurt anyone so they have that going for them."

"I suppose." Bobby looked at his friend but his eyes had a distant look. There was a long silence broken only by the occasional low squak from the police scanner Howard wore on his hip. At long last, Howard spoke up, "Do you miss them, Bobby?"

Bobby bit his lip. It looked like he was trying to think but he was only fighting the urge to suck his thumb. "I don't think so. I think the hardest part is, now the entire town knows about my "hobby".

"Oh, Bobby," Howard chuckled, "We've all known about your "hobby" for years."

All the color drained from his face and his eyes grew wide, "Really?"

"Of course. The clothes, the diaper bulges, the "discreet" packages delivered to your door, everybody knows."

As if on cue, Jennifer arrived with Howard's salad. Then she put a baby bottle in front of Bobby, "Don't worry, hun," she said, her hand on his shoulder, 'It's not formula. It's a chocolate shake thinned down. I hope it's alright." 

Bobby blushed, "Thank you, Jennifer".

Howard chuckled and stuck a fork in his salad, he looked at his future wife, "Do I get any dressing with this?" 

"Oil and Vinegar, I'll go get it."

"With Minnie and Johnny I finally had a family," Bobby looked around at the sparse crowd in the diner and took a furtive sip from his bottle, "Now I'm alone again".

Howard stretched his arm across the table and patted his friend's hand. Jennifer joined them at the booth, her hand on Howards shoulder. "Bobby, Bobby, Bobby," he chuckled, "As long as you want, you will always have us."

"Really?"

"Of course. Who do you think has been watching over you all these years?"

"And haven't I always had your back, Bobby?" Jennifer smiled.

"Well..."

"You're the reason I became sheriff, so I could keep an eye on you."

"You're the reason I've stuck around this one horse town," Jennifer added, "I knew you'd need a mommy."

"You knew?" 

"Since the first time you stole one of my little brother's diapers when we were in Junior high."

Bobby's eyes narrowed. "So, I can call you "Daddy"?"

"Well, if it makes you feel any better," Howard said as he came around the booth to sit next to his son, "you can call me Bugsy."