SIX

Nico POV

I recalled the first time I met that girl when I came to Camp Jupiter.

I was alone, as usual, and young. I was looking around curiously, because I just got there, and... well, yeah. I was a son of Hades, but they didn't know that at the time, they thought I was a son of Pluto, Hades' Roman form. Either way, the Romans didn't dare come near me, much less talk to me, but then this girl came over.

She had raven-black hair, sea green eyes, and this small grin on her face. "Hey, you're Nico, right? Son of Pluto?" She asked, tilting her head.

She was older than me, I could tell, but at that time I was startled that she had cake over and talked to me. I mean, weren't campers afraid of me? I'd been so used to being the loner at Camp Half Blood, I didn't really bother to interact with anyone when I got to Camp Jupiter.

She smiled, "I'm Atalanta, daughter of Neptune. Wanna be friends?"

So we chatted. She told me about herself. The campers hated her because they thought her father brought bad luck. Atalanta was a nice girl, even if she was quiet when around the other campers. I told her my story. As time went on, we became best friends, and I dared to tell her about Camp Half Blood. She was the only friend I had. No. Percy and Annabeth was different. I had a crush on Percy back then, and so I didn't really like Annabeth either. I never considered them my close friends.

Atalanta was my first friend. I felt comfortable around her, felt like I could tell her anything, and even though I saw her became less and less talkative and cheerful as time went by and more bullying happened, she still was there for me all the time. She offered me a shoulder to cry on. She was like that big sister I wanted, like Bianca.

But then Hazel came, and... she was a child of Pluto, my half-sister, and... I just kind of stopped hanging out with Atalanta. I wanted to spend my time with Hazel, to help her get used to the modern world. I told Atalanta about Hazel, she said she understood. And then... we didn't meet for a week. She kept trying to get me to hang out, but I kept declining her. I guess I got frustrated, so I just banged the door at her face when she came to find me. I probably shouldn't have done so, because she stopped bothering me.

We just went on and on without contacting and it just felt awkward after so long. I felt awkward to be around her.

Then there was the Giant war. And... I got kidnapped and helped carry the Athena Parthenos and everything. So I just kind of forgot about her. After the war, she kept asking me to bring her to Camp Half Blood, but I didn't actually feel like she was my friend anymore, so I just ignored her.

She was nice to me even though I treated her badly. I guess I always expected her to be like that. I didn't think she would be angry at me. I knew her as the forgiving, nice type. She didn't seem like one to get angry easily, but today she just yelled at me and I was startled, I guess. I'd never heard her yell at me.

I looked at her. And I felt so bad for ignoring her, for treating her badly.

So I let her come with us.