Viva Las Vegas- 16

Chapter Sixteen

I woke up feeling very refreshed, besides the fact that the bed I was sleeping on was as hard as a rock. It could've been from last night's conversation I heard. I smiled at the memory and rolled over to look at Adam. He was still in a deep slumber, with his mouth hanging wide open and snoring silently. I got up out of the bed and walked over to a window to see if I could figure out whereabouts we were.

However, we were stopped at a nondescript hotel that gave away nothing as to the whereabouts of our location. As I got up out of the bed, I woke up Adam and he gazed up bleary-eyed at me.

"Huh? What time is it?" He asked sleepily.

"It's about 9:45. Hey, do you know where we are?" I asked.

"Yes." was all he said before he passed out again. How he did so quickly I will never understand. I walked down to the doors of the bus and walked outside. The first thing I noticed when I walked out was that it was windy. Not just the wind was occasionally blowing, but like the wind was blowing full force with all it had. It whipped my hair across my face, blocking my vision. When I finally could see, there wasn't much to look at. The area was pretty desolate, except for a gas station down the road and a small restuarant across the way. That being said, there was no one around to speak of. I clambered back into the bus and ran head on into Stu.

"Since you're the only one up," I began, "and the others won't tell me... Where are we?"

"Oh, I didn't think you wouldn't know! We're on Route 66 darling." Stu smiled at me. "I can't believe those boys didn't tell you. I guess kids will be kids." We both laughed. Then Adam trudged down the steps, still bleary-eyed.

No matter how tired he was, I immediately went over to him and smacked his arm. "Why-" smack "didn't-" smack "you tell-" smack "me-" smack "that we-" smack "were on-" smack "Route 66?" SMACK.

He rubbed his arm. "Geez woman. If I had known you would make such a big fuss about it I would've. You act like you've never been out West."

"That's 'cause I haven't ever been out West." I clarified. He gaped at me.

"You're kidding, right?" He asked. "Where's the farthest away from home you've been?"

"Well, I've been to Washington D.C..." I started.

"That's it? Never any farther?" He said.

"Nope." I said.

"Well, then you will be in for a surprise." He said mysteriously.

"Why?" I asked. By this time, we had been moving for a little while longer.

"Look out the window," he said.

I walked over to the window and looked out. The first thing that met my eyes was dirt and the sun. After my eyes adjusted, I could get a good look around.

"Wow," I gasped. We were obviously in the desert, but there were huge rock formations jutting above the ground. "Where are we going?" I asked again.

"You'll see in about eight hours." Adam winked. I was suspicious of his suddenly excited mood, like a child who had just found out he was going to get everything he wanted for Christmas.

"Can't I have a hint?" I pleaded.

"All I'll tell you is that we're spending more days than usual there and things are legal there that aren't hardly anywhere else in the US." He said.

"Well, that doesn't help me at all." I muttered and he stifled a chuckle. "What?" I asked. He looked at me innocently.

"Nothing at all. I just figured that would give it away. But I guess you really aren't street smart." He smirked at me. I just stared at him, feeling very confused.