eight.

jesus christ 2005 god bless america - the 1975

+++

on his first day of work in the new year Jungkook started to take down all the christmas decorations. all the greens and the mistletoe above the piano. he was a little sad packing away the fairy lights. the twinkling reminded him of the stars.

he hasn't seen Taehyung since the party. they also haven't texted since then. Jungkook couldn't get himself to write a message. every time he tried to, the words felt wrong and he quickly deleted them again.

have you come home save?

how has your new year been so far?

i had a lot of fun at the party.

no. Jungkook shook his head. no words were good enough. he hoped he would see Taehyung in the café again. he liked having someone keep him company that late in the evening.

so he sat down on the old, chocolate sofa, hands folded in his lap. and waited.

he remembered the night of the party. how godly Taehyung looked. light shirt, the shiny scarf on his neck. the pretty flowers and stones on his fingers. the boxy smile. his arm around Jungkook's shoulders. his scent. milk and honey.

the boy waited for two weeks. every day he would sit down, look out the window hoping to see the older.

why am i hoping to see him so badly? i barely even know him.

the rain had washed away the snow. every sign of the winter was gone. nothing remained of the christmas time.

Jungkook loved the rain. he has always loved it.
there was something comforting in the sound the drops would make on the windows of the coffeehouse.

in the time Jungkook was waiting for Taehyung, a girl would come by the café pretty often. she always ordered a medium hot chocolate and sat down at the same spot Taehyung used to. she had long, black hair and dark, almond eyes. she was pretty.
but it was weird seeing someone else taking in the space the older used to capture.

today it was raining again. Jungkook was alone in the café. non of the students wanted to go through the cold and wet to study and get a cup of coffee.

the barista was scrolling on his phone behind the counter when the doorbell rang. he expected the girl to come and order a hot chocolate again. he stood up but froze on the spot when he saw who came in instead.

long beige trenchcoat, matching beige tote bag. he had dyed his a hair a dark chocolaty brown. it got a little longer, a few wet strands hanging over his eyes. curling up at the ends. same caramel eyes, honey skin. it was definitely him.

"hi."

"hello"

he sounded a bit out of breath as if he had jogged to the café.

"a tall hibiscus milktea and a small banana milk please."