𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟖𝟒

Start from the beginning

Astrid didn't answer.

Tarkin's mouth curled to the side as he continued, "There was rebellious activity on Scarif earlier, but rest assured it was swiftly put to rest." His cold eyes glittered with malice as he continued calmly, "Something of great importance to the Empire was stolen. We are simply here to see if you have what was stolen from the Scarif base."

"I am currently on a diplomatic mission," Astrid told him coolly, remembering the backup story Cleo had told her. "Why would I have something important of the Empire's in my possession? I am not a part of the Resistance. I am loyal to the--"

"Empire," Tarkin finished for her with a cold smile. "Of course you are, but we cannot take any chances, and therefore, cannot take your word for it I'm afraid." His words dripped with insincerity, like sweet venom trying to be disguised as honey.

Tarkin slipped his hands behind his back as his gaze intensified on her face. He strode closer to her and stopped a mere foot away from where Astrid stood rigidly in place. Astrid stared him boldly in the eye, refusing to be intimidated by this man. She couldn't help but remember when he'd advocated for Ahsoka's execution to the old Republic Senate when Ahsoka had been framed for the Jedi Temple bombing.

Tarkin seethed in a slow manner, "Tell us where the Death Star's plans are immediately, Ayla."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Astrid hissed as she leaned towards him in his face. Her nose wrinkled with disgust. "Now, let me go. Senator Organa is expecting me."

Tarkin's face relaxed as he leaned away from her and took a few steps back. Astrid released the breath she'd been holding as the distance increased between her and Tarkin with each step he took away from her.

A smirk slid across Tarkin's face as he remarked casually, "Why yes, Bail Organa, the traitorous senator."

Astrid's stomach dropped at his words, and fear gripped her throat for Bail's safety. How had he discovered Bail's part in the rebellion?

Tarkin turned towards Darth Vader, who still stood facing Alderaan out of the viewport, and said, "Lord Vader, please inform Ayla about our recent revelations regarding Senator Organa."

Darth Vader twisted towards Astrid before he spoke in an unfeeling, baritone voice... as if he was bored, or perhaps because he'd lost all sense of humanity. "Senator Organa was found to be in coercion with the rebels, and Emperor Palpatine has abolished the Imperial Senate in response."

Astrid gasped at his words, startled that Palpatine had abolished the Senate, the last vestige of democracy... or perhaps the last facade of having a democracy. This was an empire, not a republic, after all.

She looked wildly between Tarkin and Darth Vader as she protested earnestly in an attempt to keep the ruse up, "I can't believe this. Bail would never--"

"Oh, save your theatrics," Tarkin interrupted her in an irate tone. "We know you are involved with Senator Organa's correspondence with the rebels. You are his advisor, after all. Now, tell us. Where is the rebel base, and where are the Death Star's plans?"

"I will not tell you," Astrid seethed, dropping all pretense.

Tarkin marched up to her until he was but a foot away as he demanded angrily, spittle flying, "Tell us now, or your little rebel friends will pay!"

"No."

Tarkin's face twisted with fury at her open refusal, and he flung a finger at the viewport window towards the peaceful planet, Alderaan, as he hissed in a low, but firm voice, "Tell us the location of the rebel base and the Death Star's stolen plans, or Alderaan will be completely and utterly destroyed."